Main Menu

engine and transmission position

Started by chargerdon, March 05, 2020, 05:16:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Is there a proper amount of "tilt" from front to back on an engine?   Or should it be level on the top of air cleaner?   I know that an intake manifold has a "rake" to it to compensate for engine tilt.   

I think i have my new a518 mounted a little too low at the mount...causing my headers to be a little lower than they were when the 904 was in...   Not much ground clearance...

chargerdon

OK...if anybody is interested, my engine with air cleaner on, measured on top of air cleaner had a slight rake from front high to back lower.   It was about 3/16 of an inch on a 16 inch ruler. 

"Eyeballing" the rear of the transmission yoke to driveshaft, i could see that it was at an angle... I.e the rear of transmission wasn't high enough.   Took connector nut off the mount, and raised the rear with floor jack until it was NEARLY straight onto yoke/driveshaft connection.   I measured gap between mount and crossmember and was about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch higher.   So, i cut a block of hard rubber from an old broken engine mount a little more than 5/8 thich, and put it in as spacer to raise tail of transmission.   

Lowered car back onto the ground and again "eyeballed" the angle and it still has a tiny bit of angle at the yoke/driveshaft connection to it but pretty close.   Then remeasured the engine "tilt" and the rake was down to about 1/16 of an inch lower at rear.

ALso, gained about 3/4 of inch more ground clearance (right around 5") for the headers. 

I don't know if this is correct or not, but, there is no drive line vibration, so i guess i'm good.