Main Menu

Engine hoist - attaching a chain

Started by Andrewg, May 02, 2018, 03:48:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Andrewg

Years ago I picked up a 413 and 440 block along with some other parts. I've been keeping them at my parent's house, but I'm planning to bring them home this weekend.

Planning on picking up some chain tomorrow, but I can't remember what size bolts I should get. I don't think either block has heads on it, so I'll probably be attaching to a head bolt hole. Anyone know the size of those bad boys?

1 Wild R/T

Chryco Psycho

3/8 16 is common for the belhousing water pump etc also 

RUNCHARGER

I usually use 3/8 also. This is the last two I pulled (caution not a Mopar). Had to use bigger than 3/8 though.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: My old bosses boat. He sucked me into the job. We replaced the two Deetroits with John Deeres. He wanted to build an A-frame inside to move the one engine over but I figured it would be a ton faster to just pull the window and move the right one into the left ones spot after we pulled it using the crane truck. He also wanted to pull all the cooling, exhaust and aftercooling stuff off so we could get them out the door. We cleared with 1/2" by pretty much leaving them intact but it sure saved a ton of work. I'm getting lazier the older I get. When you work on Hemi E-bodies, nothing scares you roomwise, just keep measuring until you think it will work.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Love it why work harder when you can work smarter !! :woohoo:

Andrewg

RUNCHARGER

I missed the no heads part, yes both sizes.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

I hope John Deere diesels are better than John Deere Hydraulics.... Otherwise he just down graded his boat...

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: He was worried the Detroits smoked a bit. He didn't run them hard enough. He spent $250k to save some fuel. Sorry for the hijack.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 03, 2018, 07:10:32 PM
Ha, ha: He was worried the Detroits smoked a bit. He didn't run them hard enough. He spent $250k to save some fuel. Sorry for the hijack.

Detroit Diesels are two strokes, they are supposed to smoke some..... Worked on lots of them in Navy Boats... They all smoke.... Even when your ahead full.....

RUNCHARGER

Exactly, and if you run them pretty hard they will smoke less. He did have an issue once with them though, he shut them down and the one engine started to run backwards doing the smoke out the intake deal. I don't think he wanted them in there after that.
Sheldon