Main Menu

engine is running

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 19, 2023, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Saturday I fired up the engine for the first time.  The car had a non-original incomplete 383 engine.  We built it as a 478 stroker with a stroker kit from Hughes Engines.  Projected to be 470 HP with the components that we used (440 heads, original 383 cast iron intake etc).  Fired it up on Saturday and needed to tweak the timing a bit to make the carb stop blowing flames.  Then today, I did the cam break-in procedure.  That sucker was hot after 3 min at 1500-2500 RPM, but it did not blow steam.  Had to stop twice early into it for a fuel leak and an oil leak from 1 valve cover.  Now that that is done, I can change the oil and swap out the valve springs.  Feeling pretty good.  I now have a less than 1 page list of "to do" items to have it "done"  Hoping to have it at Carlisle in July.  Here is a link to a video from the cam beak-in for those on the E bodies.org facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/100001813850734/videos/181824634630879/?idorvanity=1264958710216295&notif_id=1679291724855067&notif_t=video_processed&ref=notif

71GranCoupe

Congratulations! It is always great to see forward progress. :perfect10:

Dakota

:veryexcited:  :twothumbsup: :banana: :ohyeah:

That's definitely a big moment!  Congrats.

Brads70

Congrats! Always a great moment, motivates you to finish!

70_440-6Cuda

Congrats!  Motivates me as well to hear good stories here, thanks for sharing!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

tparker

Sweet! I hope some of that good mojo will rub off over here. I'm about to do the same if the rain ever stops. Got a few weeks of prep work then I'll fire here up. I got the Hughes cam in mine and hopefully that will reduce failures.

Daveh

Congratulations I know how it feels and it's a real motivator.  Keep it going. 

RUNCHARGER

Somehow they just feel like a bunch of parts until you get the engine running!
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Nothing like building & firing up an engine for the first time , congrats !

usraptor

Congrats.  I remember well when we first fired my 'Cuda!   :cooldance: :bravo: :woohoo: :stayinlane: