Main Menu

Engine stall during sharp turns?

Started by Poolshark314, October 19, 2020, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

Has anyone had any experience with the engine stalling out when making a sharp turn at low speed? The other day I had to make a 135ish degree turn onto a road and it shutdown in the middle of the turn. After that, it took a few minutes to get started back up but I think that would be the starter being too hot. I am wondering if it has something to do with the power steering having to work harder for a sharper turn? It's a stock 440 4-bbl with power steering on a 727. Thanks in advance
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

floorit426

You may want to check your carb float level.

7212Mopar

Also check for vacuum leak. When I first got my car, it will stall when moderately brake and making turn.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Poolshark314

Thanks i'll check the float and vacuum
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

jimynick

Before you check the float level, you might check the fuel pressure first. It should be at least 5-6 psi and not over 7. It seems to me that with the attendant hard restart, that it ran out of gas and has to wait for the pump to catch up. Just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on October 19, 2020, 06:25:52 PM
Before you check the float level, you might check the fuel pressure first. It should be at least 5-6 psi and not over 7. It seems to me that with the attendant hard restart, that it ran out of gas and has to wait for the pump to catch up. Just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:

:iagree: BB fuel pump pushrod wear seems common....

Timmy2Tires

I have run into this with Holley carbs. With float set properly and correct fuel pressure. I dont know why it happens at low speed, but it was fuel coming from the vent tube. Can drive in to a corner at 60 MPH and and never miss, but take a corner at 10 and it wants to die. A longer vent tube should help if you have room. Even a piece of of rubber fuel line to extend the vent would let you know if that is the problem.

Meyer