Main Menu

Engine Vibration Troubleshooting Help

Started by Banana, June 14, 2020, 07:54:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Put in the new 440 last year (after 35 years off the road). Pretty much stock.

Need help figuring out an annoying vibration at engine RPMs starting above 2000, then getting worse as the RPM increase above that. Car in neutral while on the road about 30/40 MPH.

So far I've put in new Flywheel, Clutch Assembly and Pilot Bushing. Helped a small amount.

In my rush to get the car on the road, I used my 50 year old Motor Mounts. I read that the rubber in the mounts loses its dampening properties over time. I'm about to change those out, but pain in the ...... to do with the motor in car. There is another thread going related to mounts.

Other ideas I have left to try:
- Harmonic Balancer (although it's brand new, but could be defective)
- Further engine tuning (still not running as smooth as it should be)
- The engine was not internally balanced properly (nightmare)

Any feedback on the Motor Mounts and the other potential root causes would be appreciated

RUNCHARGER

First make sure you don't have an ignition miss.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

50 years old motor mounts seems to be a safety hazard that should be taken care of with or without engine vibration. Is the driveshaft new or reused? Any damage, dents? Clutch installed with the centering tool? If engine was internally balanced, do you have the correct balancer?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

Bad motor mounts will cause you to feel the vibration more but the vibration shoul dnot be there in he first place .
If it is the engine it should vibrate if you are moving or not , if it is vibrating moving at 40 MPH not matter what the engine rpm is it is more likely to be a driveshaft issue .
I would do a compression test & get the engine tuned & running smoothly first if it is a engine vibe for sure .

RUNCHARGER

Another thing: Did you use the correct bolts to mount the clutch to the flywheel? Wrong bolts won't center the clutch cover properly and cause a vibration.
Sheldon

Banana

Engine was dyno tested after the build last year, so I pray the compression is OK right now.

Converted it from points to electronic ignition.....may not have hooked it all up correctly. Anyone experience poor performance at higher RPM's due to ignition issues?

I did already get a new driveshaft last month. So have a new driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, pilot bushing. Used new bolts to mount the clutch (could be the incorrect bolts I guess if they gave me the wrong ones).

Vibration is there when car is moving (over 30 MPH) and in neutral, and I rev it above 2000 RPM........

I do need to tune it further, but the vibration seems mechanical and comes through the chassis.

Will try to change out the Motor Mounts, tune it better, and see what happens.......

Thanks for the feedback so far

RUNCHARGER

Pull all the sparkplugs, see if one is fouled.
Sheldon

Burdar

How old is the gas?  I had an engine vibration in my 318 that sounds very similar.  It idled fine but when you rev'd it in neutral it would start missing.  It turned out to be bad gas.  I put fuel stabilizer in the tank before storage but the gas still went bad.  If its over a few months old, put new gas in it. :alan2cents:

chargerdon

Did you ever find your vibration ?   what did it end up being ?   

Banana

Still haven't figured it out. Car's been out of commission with an electrical issue (waiting for switch to be restored).

Was going to try a compression check (again, hope it's OK....brand new engine).

I already contacted a local Speed Shop (Mopar Guy) to bring the car in and have them check it out. Need a fresh eyes look at it.

Been really frustrating........following your thread also.......let's hope we figure this out before spring