Main Menu

Exhaust manifold coatings

Started by Jocigar, June 03, 2019, 11:53:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hi Guys,

I had the cast manifolds media blasted while they were doing the car.

I had used an Eastwood product last time, but the resto went on hold and they had a little bit of surface rust 20 years later, so I decided to redo them.

the eastwood product went on with a sponge as I recall.   Are there any other at home coatings you recommend ?  Thanks!

kawahonda

There's a local place that ceramic coats manifolds for pretty cheap....cheap enough where it's best to have that done instead....but I haven't seen all of the colors they offer.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

fc7cuda

Cheap?? Have you seen their work and how it holds up?  :alan2cents:

I had a pair blasted and coated by a reputable shop, and it was $190.

Jocigar

Thanks, I wanted to go for the stock look.

this is the product I used but they never got heated to bake on the finish.   Not sure if there is something better, it looked matte cast silver.   hope its ok to post picture

kawahonda

Quote from: fc7cuda on June 03, 2019, 12:19:41 PM
Cheap?? Have you seen their work and how it holds up?  :alan2cents:

I had a pair blasted and coated by a reputable shop, and it was $190.

That to me is cheap, and is about what it costs IIRC. Maybe even $50 more than what you paid. If they offered something that's very close to the OE grey in ceramic, I would trust the performance of that over eastwood or other DIY coatings...

Keeping those puppies as cool as possible is key! If ceramic makes em flow better, than even better!

anlauto

I have all my manifolds high temp ceramic coated in cast grey. Then I get orange overspray on them once installed. The orange burns off but the ceramic coating is guaranteed for life not to come off. I use www.fireballcoatings.com ...it's not "cheap"  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

They charge $250....that's about what the local place charges and uses a really good ceramic coating process....

Have a picture of the color? I seem to remember the OE color is pretty dark...almost charcoal.

Notice any real-world differences in heat or performance after doing that?

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on June 03, 2019, 12:32:07 PM
They charge $250....that's about what the local place charges and uses a really good ceramic coating process....

Have a picture of the color? I seem to remember the OE color is pretty dark...almost charcoal.

That's CDN so it's about $190 USD and that includes sand blasting.  They have several colours to choose from...The one I use isn't that dark. :dunno:
They also offer a service where they can coat the inside of the manifold for better flow, but I've never tried that service.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Cool!

Here's some pictures of stock manifolds. I wonder if "Charcoal" would be closer.

kawahonda

Another pic without flash.

70 Challenger Lover

I know this sounds ghetto to most folks but I used the high temp spray can stuff like VHT sold at auto parts stores and they look good for years. In fact, I did this to my super bee and 20 years later they still looked good. I have a bead blaster and maybe getting it to bare iron makes the difference.

gzig5

Quote from: anlauto on June 03, 2019, 12:42:00 PM
Quote from: kawahonda on June 03, 2019, 12:32:07 PM

That's CDN so it's about $190 USD and that includes sand blasting.  They have several colours to choose from...The one I use isn't that dark. :dunno:
They also offer a service where they can coat the inside of the manifold for better flow, but I've never tried that service.

If you ever go through the cost of coating inside for improved flow, you may want to see about having them extrude honed first.  A lot of spec racers use the process on intake and exhaust components.  It's a bit of a cheat.  Interesting process, but I don't know if I buy the amount of flow improvement they show at the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBc59YZYxA

kawahonda

I researched that and have really thought about it. It should net about 5-7 HP or so....not very much!

The problem is the price per gain. You're spending $800 to extrude hone a set of manifolds for 5-7 HP...

Or, just spend $200 to ceramic coat manifolds...that will net you reduced heat, better looks, longevity, and probably a couple ponies overall. Ceramic coating makes financial sense, but extrude honing...unless you guys know of a place that does it cheap!

BTW, I heard that 1970 HipO 340 manifolds only need a "stage 1" job, whatever that means.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 03, 2019, 12:55:34 PM
I know this sounds ghetto to most folks but I used the high temp spray can stuff like VHT sold at auto parts stores and they look good for years. In fact, I did this to my super bee and 20 years later they still looked good. I have a bead blaster and maybe getting it to bare iron makes the difference.

That's exactly what I used then what ahead and put them on my gas grill.

Jocigar

Knew I could get some ingenious ideas, good bake-on method !

While I am at it, I forgot everything.. so:

Manifolds good for 440-6 ?

which valve covers for 440-6?  (must have extra because one set was not correct)

Thanks again