Main Menu

Fan Shroud Clearance

Started by money pit, June 20, 2021, 08:41:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

I have a 70 Barracuda that was originally a slant six. I installed a 360 with a 727 trans. I have a 26 in radiator with a after market shroud (see photo) I live in So. Calif. On hot days, with or without the A/C on it runs about 180. At a stop light it goes to 200 deg. How far should the fan blades be under the shroud?  If I need to move the radiator closer to the fan, do I use spacers? I have about 4 in between the fan clutch and the radiator. If you look at the pic, the fan blades are not under the shroud.

autoxcuda

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

money pit

So it looks like I need to move the fan in about an inch or more. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Chryco Psycho

It should be easier to space the fan clutch forward  :alan2cents:

Skdmark

You need a fan spacer between your water pump pulley and the fan.
You can either get aftermarket or an original. Just measure out the appx. length you need.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Claudia

I agree with the above . . . you want the fan blade half in the shroud and half out.  There are a plethora of options for adding a spacer to move the clutch / fan toward the radiator which would be much easier and cheaper than moving the radiator back towards the fan.

money pit

I looked at a number of spacers. I wasn't sure if they would work with a fan clutch.  Thanks, I learn something new every day.

money pit

Thanks. I thought since most of the parts were designed to fit an E body, they should work. I learn something new about this car everyday.