Main Menu

Fan/Shroud overlap. Something Missing?

Started by Banana, July 20, 2021, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

Well, I live in a hot climate and I don't have an over heating problem but I do have a 1" spacer on the clutch fan so the blades are mostly inside the shroud. An easy add on to see if it fixes your problem.

dodj

The way your fan is in relation to the shroud,  you could remove the shroud and you will see no difference in Temps.   :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Banana

Thanks, going to start with moving it in 1/2" at least and if it improves. Just not any 1/2" to 1" solid steel spacers out there that I've found yet.....still looking

Bullitt-

Quote from: Banana on July 25, 2021, 05:41:14 PM
Thanks, going to start with moving it in 1/2" at least and if it improves. Just not any 1/2" to 1" solid steel spacers out there that I've found yet.....still looking
I see some thicker solid spacers but they cost more than new fan clutches....
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/mechanical-fan-spacers/product-line/march-performance-billet-aluminum-mechanical-fan-spacers
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

jt4406

Would it be possible to space your radiator/shroud back toward the engine 1/2 inch (washers/spacers between the radiator support and radiator) temporarily, to prove it would fix the problem. If it does, THEN purchase the necessary spacer, and properly remount your radiator? Just thinking out loud.   jt
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

Banana

Yes, I couldn't believe the spacer pricing at Summit.

Will look at bumping out the radiator just to see if 1/2" makes a difference............

Have to make the Woodward Cruise in August and since it's an all-day traffic jam, can't afford to have it overheat (again)

Montclaire

Just figure out how deep the clutch is that you have, measure how deep it needs to be to put the fan where it belongs, and start skimming through the Hayden catalog.  Also, weren't aluminum spacers used on various Mopars that didn't have a clutch fan?  I know the four blade fan used on Max wedge cars had a beefy spacer. Is the bolt spacing the same for big and small block?

Montclaire

There are a bunch of shims and spacers on eBay, some of which are very reasonable. Just search "Mopar fan spacer."

Cudajason

So how close is to close for the fan to the rad.

I recently put a 1 inch spacer on mine, and on the bottom of the clutch, I can barely stick my finger between the clutch and the rad.  am I too close, is it safe to run that way?

I am dealing with a similar situation as the OP, my car consistently runs 210, which feels to hot for me.  I am running a 180 tstat, no difference from running no t-stat.  I would like to get it to run cooler.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Montclaire

I'd be nervous with it that tight unless you have solid motor mounts.

MOPAR MITCH

Another thing to consider.. is to add/create an upper cover/plate from the core support-to-grille.. effectively keeping more directed air-flow TO the radiator (and possibly add angled side walls behind the grille TO the radiator)... I'm planning to do that as I've seen road race cars ALL have it.  My car cools well at regular driving/idle/street or hwy driving, 180 T-stat, factory shroud, aluminum 7-blade clutch fan... using the Hayden short shaft clutch (a little short.. and a hassle to install/remove due to short bolts and barely any room for the bolts-to-water pump)... intend to change to another slightly longer clutch) ... new tripple flow US Radiator (22", 2-row, aluminum), but temps raise up high on factory gauge during aggressive 20-30-minute road course lapping sessions (HPDE racing... helps to lower temps with heater on full-blast during that time period).