Main Menu

Filling a 727

Started by blown motor, April 22, 2022, 07:25:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I replaced the pan gasket on a 727. I put in 1US gal of fluid and I am well above the full mark on the stick. Surely it would take more. Do I have to run it to get it distributed and get a correct reading? I know you're supposed to check it hot and in neutral, just looking for a little guidance.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Mrbill426

How much fluid did you drain out?   Remember that unless it has been sitting for a long time without being run that there is a lot of fluid in the torque converter.; unless of course you drained it too.
MUCH better to be low than overfilled.

Quote from: blown motor on April 22, 2022, 07:25:38 AM
I replaced the pan gasket on a 727. I put in 1US gal of fluid and I am well above the full mark on the stick. Surely it would take more. Do I have to run it to get it distributed and get a correct reading? I know you're supposed to check it hot and in neutral, just looking for a little guidance.

Bullitt-

Checking fluid level in a Torqueflight the system should be warm, running & in NUETRAL, not Park....
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

Quote from: Mrbill426 on April 22, 2022, 07:29:35 AM
How much fluid did you drain out?   Remember that unless it has been sitting for a long time without being run that there is a lot of fluid in the torque converter.; unless of course you drained it too.

I didn't measure it but I would think at least a gallon.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Mrbill426

If it's way up on the stick it is probably ok to start.  Again the converter holds a lot of fluid and it is a royal pain to correct an over-fill.

Quote from: blown motor on April 22, 2022, 07:50:10 AM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on April 22, 2022, 07:29:35 AM

I didn't measure it but I would think at least a gallon.

moparroy

It has to be running to measure fluid level (in neutral as indicated) - when its not running the level will read an inch or so above full as I recall.

MoparLeo

All of that info is in your Factory Service Manual. Available here for free.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Racer57

Quote from: MoparLeo on May 01, 2022, 08:13:05 PM
All of that info is in your Factory Service Manual. Available here for free.

I'm going to assume that he wouldn't be here asking if he had access to a manual.

MoparLeo

You might be surprised at how many people on all the car sites ask questions that is in their Manuals and they just don't bother to look it up.
For those of you out there that don't have one, go to the resources tab in the RED menu bar above. Just click on it and follow the directions for many sources of information. Saves you $$100's of dollars in manuals.

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...