Main Menu

First time engine rebuild tips/advice wanted

Started by MRM82, May 13, 2021, 06:10:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MRM82

Myself, my father in law and my dad are pulling the 318 out this weekend to rebuild. Instead of asking what combo etc should I build this motor too I was wondering if anyone had any good advice or tips for your first motor pull/rebuild. I was able to find the older how to rebuild your small block Mopar book, and we are all mechanically inclined with the majority of the tools I believe we will need. Anything you more experienced guys wish you woulda done looking back at your earlier times? Hoping it turns into a fun bonding experience for the 3 of us. Thanks in advance!

73_Cuda_4_Me

What a great way to do some bonding! Here are just a few things off the top of my head used for rebuilding my 340...

Besides the normal rebuild kits, don't forget the freeze plugs like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-34040 and don't forget Permatex for them.

Also, if you don't have number punches, pick up a small set at Harbor Freight to mark rod caps and rods. While you can just use a center punch 'x' amount of times per cylinder, the number stamps keep it simple and clean

A shallow cardboard box or two cut out and numbered to hold lifters, pushrods, valves, springs, etc... to keep everything organized by cylinder.

If you don't have a ridge reamer, rent or buy one for removing pistons when you get to that point.

Use cheap sandwich bags for bolts, with some write-on labels so you can label where they came from and stick them to the outside of the bag.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

headejm

Take lots of photos.
Have a large table set up to lay all of the removed parts on.
Find a trustworthy machine shop.
Buy good replacement parts.
Use a good engine stand.
Use an accurate torque wrench.
Plastigage the main bearings and rod bearings.
Follow closely the installation instructions from the camshaft and piston/ring suppliers.
Use a good breakin lube on the cam lobes, rod, main, cam bearings.
Install new freeze plugs.
Use a good set of gaskets (I like FelPro).
Get a good 318 rebuild manual.
Make a list of all of the various torque values.
Take your time and enjoy the time with your family!

Cudajason

Quote from: MRM82 on May 13, 2021, 06:10:43 AM
Myself, my father in law and my dad are pulling the 318 out this weekend to rebuild. Instead of asking what combo etc should I build this motor too I was wondering if anyone had any good advice or tips for your first motor pull/rebuild. I was able to find the older how to rebuild your small block Mopar book, and we are all mechanically inclined with the majority of the tools I believe we will need. Anything you more experienced guys wish you woulda done looking back at your earlier times? Hoping it turns into a fun bonding experience for the 3 of us. Thanks in advance!

I think I used that same book when I did my first motor as well.

I believe there is also how to hot rod small block mopars which might be worth looking into.

There is some great advice above. 

Good luck and enjoy the project.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

MRM82

Great thanks! Some good ideas we hadn't thought about yet. Do you guys recommend storing the hood once pulled in any particular way?

tparker

I have two Mopar small block rebuild books that provide lots of good info. I have found several videos on youtube that go through the process. Pete's garage on youtube has lots of cool videos that show the whole process and has great tips. I would watch them.

The other tip I would have is to be organized and clean. One video made a comment about another builder who recommended wearing fancy clothes so your very clean and careful. I would be worried about dust. My area has a ton of dust in the air. It is a sandy dust that would cause havoc.  Have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PetesGarage/playlists

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/how-to-hot-rod-small-block-mopar-engines-book.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=how-to-hot-rod-small-block-mopar-engines-book&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609Rea7vhkAxAZIwaXG36Ha7WivfrAQby2OHFZwfMNawmhH2nsAcL9zAHRoC5yMQAvD_Bw

https://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-William-Burt/dp/1613250584/ref=asc_df_1613250584/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126345020&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1658031700136427746&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032493&hvtargid=pla-627193438552&psc=1

rikkitik

Strongly agree with "tparker"and others, particularly in regards to dust and dirt control. Once you have the engine apart and clean, put a garbage bag on the heads and block when not being worked on. Always assume you live in a dusty, dirty environment, (well🤔, because you actually do). No engine was ever hurt because it was too clean. 😊
And, small recommendation, Driven brand assembly lube is outstanding.

dodj

Did a 440 for my car. Thinking back on it,  a stroker small block may have been a better choice. 
So... think about a stroker kit.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

headejm

Quote from: MRM82 on May 13, 2021, 09:36:28 AM
Great thanks! Some good ideas we hadn't thought about yet. Do you guys recommend storing the hood once pulled in any particular way?

Cut a slot in a 3" swim noodle and place it along the edge of the hood that is closest to the windshield. Lean the hood/noodle against a wall and somehow secure it to the wall so it will not tip or fall. Bungee cord or other method. Worked for me.

JS29

Use rubber hose on the rod bolts, so when you install the pistons you don't have to worry about scratching the crank.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

I like to lay the hood on its side. It's nice and flat and less chance of damage. A good thick blanket also.

MRM82

Again thanks! All good tips I hadn't thought about. Liking the pool noodle and honestly I've never heard of Pete's garage.