Main Menu

air compressor electric motor failed-advice wanted please

Started by Brads70, March 13, 2019, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

So I have this devilbiss 5hp air compressor with a 60 gallon upright tank, 220volt. Tonight lucky while I was in the garage working ( I have it on a switch , but often forget and leave it on) the electric motor made a bad sound while running. Like something fell in it and jammed. I quickly shut it off and brown dust was coming out of it. I tried to turn it back on to see if it was the motor or the compressor, 90% sure it's the electric motor. Didn't trip the breaker but made a horrible sound.
Here is my question, do I go and replace the electric motor or repair the motor, or just bite the bullet and buy a new compressor? It's somewhere between 20-25 years old, never gave me a moments trouble ever . I have changed the compressor oil a few times over the years. It's not something I use everyday, just occasionally when I'm playing in the garage, impact gun, etc....
Anyone have an idea what a 220 volt motor would be worth for something like this? Anyone been down this road?   I'm concerned that I go thru the trouble of replacing the motor and then the compressor gives out next/soon?

RUNCHARGER

Prices on compressors have come up quite a bit (in Canada anyway). If it isn't using oil and it is the motor I think I would replace it.
Sheldon

edison1970

Disconect the belt and make sure the compressor is good.  If it is the electric motor, I would have it fixed. My buddy went through this recently and a new 5hp motor is not cheap. He llucked out and found one at the local metal recycling yard for $100.

RJChallenger

I would look for a good used motor. Your compressor is of better quality than the stuff made today. All you would need is a 1HP 220 volt motor. Also check the RPM's are the same

YellowThumper

agree also just change the electric motor after confirming pump is working.
I had same issue leaving mine on and it would scare the @#$%^ out of my wife while doing laundry.
Hook or plug in a light that will remain on when it is on. Off when off... No more scared wife and laundry magically gets done.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

This is just for reference on cost for a new replacement motor:

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5379-Motor-Single-Phase-1725/dp/B00012XBY4/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=220+volt+1+hp+motor&qid=1552563436&s=gateway&sr=8-4

As noted above, you'd have to make sure the new motor and old one match on RPM.  Most electric motors in this size range can be wired for either 120v or 220v service.

dodj

First take off the belt. Then spin the motor shaft to see if you have a bearing problem.
If it seems smooth, start the motor. If it won't run, you have a winding/capacitor problem. Likely best to buy a new motor. If it runs fine, probably a compressor problem.
If the bearings are rough it is not a difficult fix for a guy like you. You take the pulley off the motor shaft. Then remove the endbell bolts (usually four of them). Mark the end bells and body (Stator) of the motor so you assemble in the same orientation. Then tap a thin taper wedge in between the stator and endbell. Work it out evenly. The rotor (part of the motor that spins) may come out with it, but probably not. Once you have both endbells off, remove the two bearings and buy a couple new ones. Probably fix it for under $20.
Good Luck, hope its just bearings.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Slotts

Quote from: dodj on March 14, 2019, 05:32:48 AM
First take off the belt. Then spin the motor shaft to see if you have a bearing problem.
If it seems smooth, start the motor. If it won't run, you have a winding/capacitor problem. Likely best to buy a new motor. If it runs fine, probably a compressor problem.
If the bearings are rough it is not a difficult fix for a guy like you. You take the pulley off the motor shaft. Then remove the endbell bolts (usually four of them). Mark the end bells and body (Stator) of the motor so you assemble in the same orientation. Then tap a thin taper wedge in between the stator and endbell. Work it out evenly. The rotor (part of the motor that spins) may come out with it, but probably not. Once you have both endbells off, remove the two bearings and buy a couple new ones. Probably fix it for under $20.
Good Luck, hope its just bearings.

That is a good plan to follow, Brad. Hope it is an easy bearing fix.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Brads70

Wow I should go buy a lottery ticket maybe. When I removed the belt I found the key had somehow fallen out allowing the pully to spin on the electric motor shaft causing that horrible sound and dust to come out of the motor.  5mm key way.... wow is that ever dumb had to machine one up as no one had any in stock. Fired it up and seems to be working great again. Thanks everyone!! Nice to once in awhile have horse shoes in my back pocket !

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Seeing as dust came out with vibration, it wouldn't hurt to blow the rest out once you get the compressor running again.  :alan2cents:

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 14, 2019, 03:42:36 PM
Seeing as dust came out with vibration, it wouldn't hurt to blow the rest out once you get the compressor running again.  :alan2cents:
That won't cause any issues? I'm replying on my phone as the internet quit yesterday morning. Right after they upgraded it to high speed. LOL. "Mama said some days will be like this" haha repair tech coming back today.. 

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Dakota

:cooldance: on the simple solution.

No issues with blowing out the dust other than the mess it'll make around the outside of the motor.   It may not make a huge difference but the motor will cool better if the inside is not caked with dust and dirt.   Worst case, the dust will eventual start to creep into bearings and electrical contract points.  Get it out of the motor if you can.