Main Menu

found my ignition problem

Started by jordan, July 01, 2017, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

My coil died this year too.  It was only a year old.  I wonder if it will potentially last longer now that it is in the vertical position.  Just for the sake of wonder, what position are your failing coils in?  Stock horizontal or vertical?  Not making any assumptions, just gathering data. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

HP_Cuda

Check to see that your ballast resistor is doing its job, otherwise that could explain the short lived coil life.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

jordan

R/T garage recommended that I change it from a 4 post to a two post ballast.  I had that converted when I installed a new Rev-n-Nator, coil, and ballast a few weeks ago.  Next week I recurve the distributor and see how everything goes. 
     Sounds like it is to be expected that my coil dies soon, just like everybody else's.  Could they just be cheaply made junk that are disposable so the companies keep selling more coils?  Too bad they have to strand you when they die.  Keep an extra in the glove box with the spare ignition?  Seems like a no brainer at this point. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Chryco Psycho

you should be able to Map your curve check where the engine likes it best @ idle & 1600 rpm , you know you will want 34-36 all in

Shane Kelley

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 05, 2017, 09:25:24 AM
Check to see that your ballast resistor is doing its job, otherwise that could explain the short lived coil life.
A ballast resistor is just that. A simple resistor. It's going to drop voltage or not work at all. But I have tried factory resistor, MSD resistor and no resistor. According to MSD there is no need for a resistor using their coil unless your running points. That's right out of the guys mouth on their tech line. Right now I'm running a 35.00 coil off EBay with no resistor. Already have gotten more miles out of it than all the MSD's combined. I was looking and saw have close to 1000 miles on the same coil on my Road Runner.

HP_Cuda

Shane

You are also mix and matching parts.

This may be your issue.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shane Kelley

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 06, 2017, 01:17:15 PM

Shane

You are also mix and matching parts.

This may be your issue.

B

Your right. If Mopar performance still offered a coil I would buy one. Funny thing is I think they were oil filled Blaster coils when they did offer them. I think these ones I have now has solved my issues. Time will tell. I already have more run time on these than all the MSD ones combined.