Main Menu

FSHTAIL: Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission E body kit

Started by FSHTAIL, September 11, 2021, 01:14:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Sorry for high jacking.

Those of you concerned about the driveshaft angle being off.......... IF you ever had air shocks, how much vibration did you have once the rear was higher than stock height ? The reason I mention this is because 5+ years ago I installed a Tremec that I had bought used, but was supposedly totally rebuilt. The car had a vibration from 45-70 mph. Some suggestions had me convinced the driveshaft angle needed changed. I placed 1,2,3,4, and 5 degree shims under the axle over a several month time period with very little if any change. After a couple years of fighting it, I gave up and just drove it. Then one day I got stupid and did a bad power shift and bent a fork. Had the tranny rebuilt. The vibration was gone. I mentioned it to the rebuilder and he said the rear bushing was shot so he put a new one in. After telling him what all I had gone through he said "Did you ever get a bad vibration on a car that you had air shocks on ? (yes to air shocks and no to vibration) That can change the driveshaft angle far more than a couple degrees."

FSHTAIL

Never had any vibration with air shocks.
I had that thing 4x4 stance before just to try it out
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

rebelyell

Quote from: FSHTAIL on June 18, 2022, 12:10:02 PM
Quote from: Fern on June 18, 2022, 11:07:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone who put one of these TKX units has some feedback?
Measuring for run out was a pain in the ass, mine required offset dowel pins.     This is something I've never done before, I had to buy a magnetic gauge for this from harbor freight to get it done, but I got it done.   

The stiffening frame brace needed to be cut down a little bit, but not too big of a deal. 
I have the doctor diff brick master cylinder adapter, that required me to drill an extra hole for the slave cylinder reservoir, that wasn't too big of a deal. 
Their tech support left a little bit to be desired for, they didn't really understand what I was talking about when I was asking them some questions, everybody has their brain fart days I suppose

you had to measure for runout?

is all of this included in the instructions? Mine is supposed to deliver today.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: rebelyell on June 20, 2022, 08:07:29 AM
Quote from: FSHTAIL on June 18, 2022, 12:10:02 PM
Quote from: Fern on June 18, 2022, 11:07:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone who put one of these TKX units has some feedback?
Measuring for run out was a pain in the ass, mine required offset dowel pins.     This is something I've never done before, I had to buy a magnetic gauge for this from harbor freight to get it done, but I got it done.   

The stiffening frame brace needed to be cut down a little bit, but not too big of a deal. 
I have the doctor diff brick master cylinder adapter, that required me to drill an extra hole for the slave cylinder reservoir, that wasn't too big of a deal. 
Their tech support left a little bit to be desired for, they didn't really understand what I was talking about when I was asking them some questions, everybody has their brain fart days I suppose

you had to measure for runout?

is all of this included in the instructions? Mine is supposed to deliver today.

It is all in the instructions, it does not come with the tool for measurements.      The tolerances for the original transmissions are quite sloppy to today's standards, these are conical bearings in the tolerances are much tighter.       I got mine down to .0035.   

rebelyell

Read through the instructions and I see what you're talking about now.

One thing for anyone considering...the warranty starts when you receive the transmission and not when you install it. Something to keep in mind if you're just collecting parts like I am.

Dakota

A 10% off sale is currently underway for TKX kits from SST.  Driveshafts are no longer part of the kits (they were in 2021), but it will need to purchased after measurements are made following installation.  The turnaround time on driveshafts is 7-10 business days. 

I pulled the trigger on ordering a TKX kit from SST earlier this week. 

anlauto

I have 480 kms on mine now, I like it over the TKO :bigthumb: shifts nicer in my opinion
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BluRaySRT

I have 700 miles on the new trans and it performs flawlessly.   The driveshaft measurements are confusing.  Mine turned out to be and inch too long.   Had it cut and balanced and all is good.

FSHTAIL

The instructions were pretty straight forward for the driveshaft.         
You have to take the measurement while the cars weight on the rear end for the static height measurement   

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: BluRaySRT on July 21, 2022, 06:14:45 PM
I have 700 miles on the new trans and it performs flawlessly.   The driveshaft measurements are confusing.  Mine turned out to be and inch too long.   Had it cut and balanced and all is good.

This is what I like to hear!   I had a TKO and now have a T56.   The TKO shifted like a damn dump truck.  simply would not go into the shift gate at high rpm.   shifted nice at lower rpm though.

I heard the TKX had the T56 design syncros to improve shifting which sounded nice, but then I got nervous when I saw that it still had a triple internal shift rail design.   I often wondered if part of the TKO issues were going from one rail to the next, like in the 2-3 shift or 4-5 shift.

anlauto

Quote from: FSHTAIL on July 21, 2022, 07:51:03 PM
The instructions were pretty straight forward for the driveshaft.         
You have to take the measurement while the cars weight on the rear end for the static height measurement   

:iagree: I thought so too :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Just got my TKX.   Gotta love the warning label along the top of the box.   :stayinlane:

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Dakota on July 27, 2022, 11:35:42 AM
Just got my TKX.   Gotta love the warning label along the top of the box.   :stayinlane:

Just a heads up for anyone doing this.. 

You might have to drill an additional hole in the slave cyl bracket if you have done the aluminum MC swap.

Also, the clutch pedal stiffening bracket that goes to the frame rail might need to be trimmed down to fit properly, mine did..