Main Menu

Fuel pump Question

Started by bentpshrods, February 10, 2018, 01:29:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

I just pulled the 340 out of my cuda. I am changing the cam and adding a 6 barrel set up. My stock fuel pump went out and I replaced it with another cheap china made stock one. I took the car to the local track last summer to get a time on it before changing the cam, but the fuel pump just failed to keep up. Car would bog and stumbled badly.  I want to take the car to the strip every once in a while so i need to upgrade. I was thinking of going with a full mechanical pump (carter ect.) but was wondering if it would be better to go with a electrical pump instead. Is there an electric pump set up recommended for a basic street / occasional strip set up. Or would a mechanical pump be enough.   

dodj

There's lots of electric pumps out there that supply enough for the strip. Might have to put a pressure regulator in there with it though.
Just make sure it is a quality, QUIET running pump. Otherwise you will get tired of the whine coming from the pump. I know I did, that's why I got rid of the electric.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70chall440

I would just say that a lot of cars have been raced with mechanical pumps; the key is to get a good one. That said, there are many good electrical pumps out there as well; again you need to buy quality and insulate it from whatever you bolt it to in order to reduce noise (a piece of rubber between the pump and its mount point works).
Mopar or no car!!!

RUNCHARGER

Either way will work. Mechanical is quiet and you don't have to wire it. I've made lots of drag strip passes with dual quad Hemis with mechanical pumps.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

I would install a better quality mechanical fuel pump, a new pump eccentric and a temporary fuel pressure gauge to make sure it really is a fuel delivery issue.
Lots of strong running small and big blocks running mechanical pumps.

I'm running a basic 8 psi. Carter muscle car series mechanical fuel pump with stock 3/8 pickup and fuel lines on a fresh aluminum headed 440 Six Pack and have never had any fuel delivery/starvation issues.

303 Mopar

I've run the Mallory 110 pump on my 505 stroker and 408 stroker now and really like it.  It is arguable the quietest pump on the market and does a great job.

Chryco Psycho

Mallory 110 is the best choice for electric pumps as it is quiet & efficient .
I would still prefer a high volume Mechanical pump though .

73chalngr

You say the car stumbled at the strip.what rpm did you leave at ? If you left at 5000 rpm it could be your ecu is astock one. My car did that a I had to go to a chrome one to handle higher rpm I think the highest is orange

Chryco Psycho

Orange is the street box , Chrome is the upgrade , Gold was the peak performance one but would not withstand being idled

cudabob496

my engine quit running out of no where a while back.
turns out the orange box was to close to the header pipe,
and was getting cooked.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

RUNCHARGER

Ha: It occurs to me I've killed them all. One gold box, a few chromes and a few orange as well. Lately I've run chrome with a spare in the glovebox. I have an ancient MSD5C with a Chrysler plug that still works though. It's almost like the old electronics is more reliable than the new stuff which makes no sense at all.
Sheldon

ToxicWolf

I just wanted to echo the warning about the noise made by external electric pumps.  Mine was driving me crazy so we got a Tanks Ink tank for my 70 Challenger which allows you to use a submersible pump inside the tank. I'm VERY happy with that decision and the newfound quiet.  :veryexcited:

Chryco Psycho

In the old days they used to make 1000s of ECU every day & the quality had to be good , now I am sure they are made in smaller batches with cheaper components , none are used on the assy line for decades & nothing new has been developed other than Rev-A-Nator .

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 11, 2018, 06:18:28 AM
Mallory 110 is the best choice for electric pumps as it is quiet & efficient .
I would still prefer a high volume Mechanical pump though .
:iagree: Cheaper, less hassle to install, no noise and more than adequate.

ZEN357

Try an Edelbrock Mechanical Fuel Pump.  Spend the extra money.  It's worth it.