Main Menu

Fuel Vent questions 1970 383 Challenger RT/SE non-ecs

Started by mtterry, April 28, 2022, 07:35:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1970A-66Challenger

My '70 340 Challenger also vents into the frame rail. From what I recall the original tank had no nipple built in.

jt4406

Here ya go Alan, vent/overflow line into passenger side frame rail....
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

jt4406

.....top front passenger side corner of original fuel tank....
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

anlauto

It's what I love about this website, I can learn something new everyday  :worship: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mtterry

Quote from: 1970Cuda on April 28, 2022, 05:00:49 PM
I agree with anlauto on the venting for the 1970 'Cuda (non-ECS), and it definitely vents into the frame rail. I bought a repro kit for it and it has this interesting "Z" tube that only fits (snuggly) into the frame rail.

Obviously were discussing a Challenger, and I've looked at the service manual and studied it fairly closely and it is definitely NOT clear on the venting and where the tube goes (that I can see).

Picture is from my 1970 'Cuda. It was formerly an ECS car that I converted to a Federal car.

In the Challenger rail, is there a rather large opening?
You have a picture of what you have going on in the trunk in regards to the vent lines?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mtterry

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2022, 05:23:58 AM
It's what I love about this website, I can learn something new everyday  :worship: :twothumbsup:
Here's what I have mocked up so far..

headejm

@mtterry Don't forget the ground strap that goes on either side of the rubber hose on the fuel line at the tank.

mtterry

Quote from: headejm on April 30, 2022, 11:41:52 AM
@mtterry Don't forget the ground strap that goes on either side of the rubber hose on the fuel line at the tank.
Added it to my next classic order lol.

Need to order some headers from summit too.. any suggestions?

headejm

@mtterry Start another thread under "exhaust" to ask about headers. Lots of guys on here know a lot about headers. I'm not one of them. Lol

RJChallenger

I vote for dumping into the frame. My gas tank has no nipples anywhere. just two large holes. one for the filler neck and the second for the fuel sending unit.

B5fourspeed

If you use the vent tube into the frame rail you need to use a vented gas cap.

Huskidrive

Quote from: B5fourspeed on June 28, 2022, 07:32:17 PM
If you use the vent tube into the frame rail you need to use a vented gas cap.
Why would you need a vented gas cap if the tank is already vented to the atmosphere thru the filler tube? I have a non vented gas cap and the original filler tube and vent and it's been fine since I bought the car in 1974....

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!