Main Menu

General advice needed for a new Mini-Starter Install (Mr. Gasket 51330G Starter)

Started by 70Challenger440, July 08, 2024, 07:57:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70Challenger440

The car I need help with is a  70 Challenger with a 383 (it's Driver quality and the block is a 1968 out of a roadrunner). It is mostly stock with exhaust manifolds and currently has an original style starter. I have not put in a starter in decades, so this will be the first time I will be using a new style version as I don't want to take a chance on a parts-store rebuilt one. The car is not stored nearby, so I want to make sure I get this done in one trip to the car and have everything needed when I get there.

I have just ordered a Mr. Gasket 51330G Starter. (and as said I have only seen in person original OEM starters). I searched and found various modern-starter threads, yet most pertain to cars with headers and those headaches.  (as said mine has stock manifolds). I do see some issues (for mini-starters in general) that might apply such as studs too long or it is too close in one spot or the stock wires being too short...  etc.

Is there anything I need to worry about when switching to the Mr. Gasket 51330G Starter? I want to have all the parts before I get there. Hopefully it is a simple direct bolt-in, being I am choosing it just because it's 'new' vs rebuilt.

(My biggest concern is if the terminals will hit the block and I need one of those adapters

bdschnei

Not sure what you have for heat shielding now with the oe type starter, but just be aware that since the mini-starters are smaller, they have less physical material to act as heat sink to draw heat away from the electrical components of the starter. Probably not a problem in your case, but just something to keep in mind if you start experiencing heat soak issues with the starter.
Bret

1970A-66Challenger

I recently installed a parts store mini starter on a 440 with a 10.5" clutch and had to grind a bit of material off the block with a Dremel tool so that the starter would sit completely flat. Not sure if 383 will have similar issues.  I also used a terminal relocation kit to make it work.