Main Menu

Go and buy a wideband oxygen sensor/gauge!

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, February 23, 2017, 06:20:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I, like many others, spend hours...even days.. tuning my 318 in the 'Cuda. Trying to find the right setting, reading plugs, looking for that little bit extra. This week I have decided to take my somewhat parked 1976 Dodge Warlock and turn it into my daily driver. Along with that, I did a 4bbl swap on the 360 and decided to buy a dedicated wideband for the truck for tuning. I also plan on using it to help tune my Father-in-Law's 1979 L'il Red Express.

Over the last few days I installed the wideband and started by just driving with it an observing where I was at. Rich idle, rich light cruise, rich under full load...rich all around. I've started to hone in on the settings and have been very pleased with the results. I can actually watch the secondaries run out of fuel as I reach my shift point, as it's ramping up to lean through the revs. No reading plugs and no guessing, it's very handy!

I bought an Innovate Motorsports LC-2 for the Warlock. I bought that primarily because it is the same one that is in the 'Cuda, and this one can serve as a backup for the 'Cuda, if I ever need to troubleshoot it. You may find another option offers a better bang for buck, but for ~$160..I have no complaints!

The short version: If you're on the fence and serious about dialing in your carb, do it. Buy the wideband.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

It's temporary home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

I've gone back and forth on using those.  Everyone that has one seems to love it and speaks highly of it.  And being able to fine tune a carb with something like that would be sooooo cool.  I might have to give it a try.  :bradsthumb:

Chryco Psycho

Computer definatly take tuning to a new level you may think you have it right but the computer can reveal so much more

RUNCHARGER

What I found was I can get it right without the gauge but it takes a lot longer. Typically I tune a new combination over several days and sometimes you go the wrong way, go past etc. so lots of trial and error. The Wideband told me immediately what was wrong and pretty much how close as well.
I think if you use the wideband and then take it out (to keep the stock look or use on another vehicle) you should probably make a habit of reinstalling it every 6 months or so just to check on things.
I gave mine to my son when I sold the last carbed car but I'll buy another when I get another carbed car on the road.
Sheldon

lulurocks(Ken)

I just put in a wideband as well to start tuning my build ...   My wife used to be a good  for telling me when my cars were rich ..   IT STINKS !!!   Lol  and btw "it stinks"is 10.1 on the gauge ...pig rich lol

Getting idle   cruise  ,  1/2 , and wot  has been  interesting......

Brads70

GoodysGotaCuda

To keep this e-body related, I have an AFR gauge going in my dash as well, though the ECU will handle the screw turning part. :wrenching: :vipermanhiding:
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

screamindriver

Nice gauges Goody... :bigthumb:...I've got an Innovative LM-1 with the RPM adapter that I use to tune various applications...Takes the guess work out of the tuning and saves countless hours in the process...

70chall440

I use the Holley software with my Challenger but will be installing a gauge in my Cuda.
Mopar or no car!!!

Cudakiller70

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on February 23, 2017, 09:56:37 PM
@GoodysGotaCuda could you post a link for the Wideband you bought?

I bought the Innovate LC-2. To restate, I bought this for the Warlock because I am already using one in my 'Cuda [EFI] and it can serve as a backup/tester if I have issues with that one. My SpeedHut gauge is also calibrated off of the Innovate LC-2 signal.

Innovate, AEM and other manufacturers have plenty of options out there to choose from that may be better for a discrete carb application.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

fc7cuda

Sounds like a great tool to consider.  How did you mount yours?  Their manual says:

"Using a bung is the preferred method for mounting the oxygen sensor in all applications"

Do you happen to have a pic or two to share?

Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: fc7cuda on February 24, 2017, 05:15:26 AM
Sounds like a great tool to consider.  How did you mount yours?  Their manual says:

"Using a bung is the preferred method for mounting the oxygen sensor in all applications"

Do you happen to have a pic or two to share?

Thanks

I welded in a bung. There are clamp on options where you drill a hole in the pipe and clamp a bung. [FiTech]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

lulurocks(Ken)

That looked like a ball to weld in upside down ,  nice job ,