Main Menu

Head gasket tabs, Cuttem off??

Started by Crash520, December 14, 2017, 11:41:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Guys, there is no way I can see that leaving the tabs on the head gasket are going to help seal the inlet manifold China wall gaskets, my brain is telling me to chop em off flush, what do you all do with them?
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Shane Kelley

I have left them and I have chopped them off. I believe it's better with them off for sealing the corners of the intake. Last time I left them on I got a slight seepage in one corner.

72 Challenger

I leave them on if the gaskets have holes or other provisions for them.

Otherwise you can cut them off. Sharp chisel and a couple taps of a hammer work like a charm.
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

They are supposed to insert into the cork gasket that runs along the front and back of the intake to prevent them from being sucked in. I would leave them :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I actually never run the end gaskets and use a nice thick bead of sealant only for those 2 areas. That's why I don't like those tabs sticking up in my way.

Crash520

Interesting, I'll investigate further, thanks guys
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

RUNCHARGER

What Alan said. However what Shane says works as well. Like Alan says though, there is a reason they are there.
Sheldon

Crash520

So I left them on, the cork gaskets had slots for them, I re trimmed the slots to better suit the tabs, torker 340 manifold now installed, on goes the FAST XFI 2.0 so hopefully this time next week it'll be running
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Crash520

I'm looking forward to it Sheldon, the car ran great with the TQ on it, so I figured it would be best to install it on my stock 340 that I know how it runs to get the EFI set up and sorted befor I swap the 408 into it, that's going to be a killer engine, and I hope to get the most out of it hence the XFI system. Port injection probably would have been better that the TBI I'll be using, we've just finished doing bowl and seat work on the W2's and are getting 320cfm @ 650 and 700 lift, can't wait to get this little striker running.
I hope I can get my head round the EFI programming, it's my first one
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

RUNCHARGER

Programming is quite easy. You just work through the screen prompts. My son is putting an 11.5 360 with W-2's into a 240Z Datsun. The W-2's make serious power.
Sheldon