Main Menu

Heater Core Fitment Issue

Started by DeathProofCuda, June 19, 2020, 07:58:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Anybody else run into this problem when trying to replace a heater core?  The inlet and outlet tubes on mine appear to be misaligned, which prevents the heater core body from sitting correctly in the heater box.  The heater core I am using is one that I picked up 15+ years ago.  It is a Modine and was actually made in the USA!, so I was expecting better it terms of fitment.  The tubes are so far out of alignment that I'm reluctant to try to "massage" them in place for fear of damaging the joint where they are soldered to the core body.  Any thoughts??

DeathProofCuda

Top pic here shows how the original core sits in the heater box and second pic shows the new core.

RUNCHARGER

I agree, massaging them is bound to damage a joint. Maybe an old school radiator shop (or someone that can solder well) can have a look at it.
Sheldon

Floyd

No suggestions on making the new one work, but I will recommend Glen Ray for recoring your original.

http://www.restorationradiators.com/heatercoreresto.htm

DeathProofCuda

Well I got impatient this evening and decided to try some "massaging" anyway.  I used a MAP gas torch to unsolder the bracket holding the two tubes together, because it wasn't positioned correctly.  Having the tubes separated from each other made the adjustments to the tube alignment a bit easier. Once I got them adjusted, I soldered the bracket back in place.  It's not perfect, but I got it to line up well enough to fit into the heater box and close it up without any issues.

I'm still concerned that my adjustments may have caused a leak, so have removed the core from the heater box again and am planning to "bench test" the core for leaks by hooking it up and running the car while I have the heater core sitting on a fender cover on the passenger side fender.

Jay Bee

Before replacing my heater core (ages ago) I took it to a rad shop and had it pressure tested by them. I thought that would be better than any "bench test". I could do. The 10 bucks was well worth the piece of mind. Maybe you have a friend in the rad business that can test yours for free.

bennydodge

I went through this a couple of years ago and had the exact same problem. The core that fit correctly was this one from Rock auto. No massaging of the tubes and it fit in the heater box as well. My car is a 73 without A/C. Number 9010106 is the number to use.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 19, 2020, 08:34:15 PM
I agree, massaging them is bound to damage a joint. Maybe an old school radiator shop (or someone that can solder well) can have a look at it.

Sure enough, I pressure tested it today and it is leaking at the base of the large tube  :headbang:

DeathProofCuda

Well I decided to take the gamble on the Rock Auto piece.  Thanks for the recommendation @bennydodge  :bradsthumb: 

During the first trial fit, the alignment of the tubes looked good and the core appeared to align nice and square with the box, but it would not seat fully in the box due to some excess material on the tab joining the two tubes.  After trimming the excess off the top of that tab it fell into place and fit like a glove.  :woohoo:

Thanks for all the replies.

bennydodge

Glad it worked out for you! I'm surprised you had to trim that much off the tube bracket. I remember some minor filing of that bracket-nothing to the extent that you did. Your heater box looks just like mine.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

72 Challenger

I had questions about heater cores ages ago and was told that the ones from rock auto were good. I put one in my 74 challenger then just this past winter put one in the Duster. I think it was Alan that put me onto rock auto.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Skdmark

I'm driving to Glen Ray tomorrow. They are about 170 miles from me.
Dropping off a radiator, A/C heater core and evaporator.

I had seen many threads on different forums cursing new heater cores and their fitment issues. Glad to hear the Rock Auto one is a good fit with only minor trimming.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: