Main Menu

Help me LA'ify my soon to own 5.9!

Started by kawahonda, August 21, 2019, 02:38:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

My “340” is getting close...

I had a panic attack today when I realized I didn't use any thread SEALANT for the rocker studs...but just used ARP fastener lube...

My builder told me that the bosses are sealed. Therefor, I am drinking a beer.

Probably a good 8 hours to align everything. It would be hell to remove the guide-plates again.

I suppose MANY head stud bosses are not sealed in Ford and Chevy land?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

YellowThumper

What are your plans for the intake bolt mounting? Magnum head bolts are vertical and the LA go in angled.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

kawahonda

RUNCHARGER

Nice, good thing you worked over the brakes.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Quote from: kawahonda on July 04, 2020, 11:48:22 PM
My EQ heads have LA bolt pattern.

:bigthumb: cutouts didn't look like it and was blurry when I zoomed in.
Carry on...

Mike.

kawahonda

Can you guys tell me what size grade-8 hardware to get for:

1) Carb Bolts. I will be using a 3/8" gasket.

2) Water outlet bolts.

kawahonda

Don't be in a hurry guys!

N/M, I did find the correct bolts for these.

However, I am at a loss. I don't think the LA blocks have a lifter spider, correct? I'm lacking the 3 bolts that fasten this into the block. Curious if anyone knows what they are before I make another hardware stop today.

This weekend I plan to install the timing cover now that the oil spinner is on and the cam bolt is torqued. I'm planning to use Ultra black on both sides of the gasket. I'm planning to also use Ultra black on the water pump gasket as well. For the mounting hardware, I don't know which bolts yet are not sealed, so I just plan to use thread sealer on them all.

MoparLeo

As noticed above by someone else, the heads Have the same intake pattern because there is only one pattern but the angle of the threaded intake holes is different. Magnum pattern.  Standard manifold will not bolt on. Try it and see.. Grade 8 bolts on the carb and water outlet bolts. ?? The torque for the carb bolts is only 7 ft.lbs  Water outlet is 30 ft. lbs. Hardware store is not really the right place to shop for Automotive fasteners especially engine fasteners. They are seldom the correct length or have the correct shoulder lengths.  They will normally have fully thread bolts when they should only be partially threaded and have long shoulders. This type of fasteners is much less prone to stretching/failing, which is the reason that the Auto manufacturers seldom use them. They are more expensive but getting your fasteners from companies like ARP and others will assure you of proper thread count, pitch, length and strength for each application. If you do things correctly and I know that is what you always try to do, you will only do it once if you do it right. "saving money is too expensive" in the long run.
http://www.440magnum-network.com/info/tech/engines/smallblock/smblockboltspecif.shtml
http://www.magnumswap.com/magnum-torque-specs/
Just an FYI I put the Factory 300 HP Magnum crate motor in my wifes 73 Challenger 15 years ago.  That was before the Gen iii Hemi's were more reasonable and there are now many parts dedicated to early Mopar conversions. Trying to fool someone into thinking that you have a "stock" engine is an old, old hot rodding concept. Most people don't care about that anymore. After someone finds out, everybody will know anyway. Glad that at least you are trying to do it right. And yes the "spider hold down" for the roller lifters is missing and needs to be installed. As I preach to every one all of the time. USE YOUR SERVICE MANUAL !! The info is in there.
The 5.9 Magnum IS an LA engine, it is just the last improvement of the original 1967 casting.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

kawahonda

Let's move on from that guys.

kawahonda

Still left:

1) set valve lash
2) get LA cover + magnum pan gasket kit from scram speed (out of stock not
For 3 months)
3) get reproduction passenger manifold heat shield.

I think that's about it...

kawahonda

Oh yeah...got the right formula too...

kawahonda

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 10, 2020, 04:07:52 PM
As noticed above by someone else, the heads Have the same intake pattern because there is only one pattern but the angle of the threaded intake holes is different. Magnum pattern.  Standard manifold will not bolt on. Try it and see..

See pic above. When I plan stuff, I plan it right.

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 10, 2020, 04:07:52 PMJust an FYI I put the Factory 300 HP Magnum crate motor in my wifes 73 Challenger 15 years ago.  That was before the Gen iii Hemi's were more reasonable and there are now many parts dedicated to early Mopar conversions. Trying to fool someone into thinking that you have a "stock" engine is an old, old hot rodding concept. Most people don't care about that anymore. After someone finds out, everybody will know anyway. Glad that at least you are trying to do it right. And yes the "spider hold down" for the roller lifters is missing and needs to be installed. As I preach to every one all of the time. USE YOUR SERVICE MANUAL !! The info is in there.

Good info. I feel like me and you would blend in like salt and pepper after a 6-pack. 300 HP is 340 level at best. I'm going for far more here. Service manual, nor the "how to build a small block Mopar book" sheds any light upon the size of the spider bolts for the Magnum block. No manual, ever, will tell you thread size, pitch, and size of bolts. No need to worry though, because I found 3 bolts in the parts washer. :)

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 10, 2020, 04:07:52 PMThe 5.9 Magnum IS an LA engine, it is just the last improvement of the original 1967 casting.

This is where I have to disagree with you, and even my engine builder. But only to some extent. Yes, it's "basically" the same, but there are enough differences when bolting it all together that sometimes you have to say "Magnum" and "LA". You even said it yourself. "NO WAY THAT LA INTAKE WILL BOLT TO THOSE MAGNUM HEADS!!" Well, you just proved my point. Except, my EQ Magnum heads are drilled for LA bolt pattern....as I've mentioned several pages back.

It also pays to say "Magnum" when talking about other things because there are TRUE differences. Magnum uses roller lifters, a spider below intake. Magnum block accept a slightly different oil pan. No problem if using all magnum components, but once you bolt on a LA timing chain cover with a magnum mid-sump aftermarket pan, you need to start differentiating. Stick some reproduction LA valve covers on magnum heads, may be better off with LA gaskets....see what I mean?

Only know if you tried to mix and max....

But I guess I'm doing the boring and stupid hot-rod thing, and I won't fool anyone. :)

Spent enough on this build for it not to be cheap. Not that it will earthquake everything around it, but at least I did things to make it look STOCK, using reproduction, and period correct pieces only...

YellowThumper

Been there done that myself...
La motor Magnum accessories. Including Magnum intake.
Know full well what will and will not work.
Offered a little constructive help. That is what this forum is all about...
Enjoy your build as there is now one less that is givs a shit about it.

Out.

Mike.

kawahonda

Holy crap @YellowThumper 

How much HP you think you're running with those turbos?

Btw, I couldn't tell if you were offended or not, but I have absolutely no reason why you would be.