Main Menu

Help me LA'ify my soon to own 5.9!

Started by kawahonda, August 21, 2019, 02:38:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

These heads are going on, EQ-CH318B:
https://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/cylinder-heads/chrysler-magnum-head/

Slap in the magnum valve system. Slap on LA valve covers, oil pan, 340 distrib, LD340, 340 manifolds....

The way to think about it is that you are building a magnum to look like an LA. LA parts go on the outside.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

I bought a new 92 D150 with a 318 Magnum in it. That thing was really strong I bet it would have dynoed within 10HP of a 68-71 340. After 92 they detuned them a bit but I think a 360-408 Magnum should run pretty hard easily.
Sheldon

gzig5

What are you going to do for a fuel pump?  I don't think the magnums have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump.  May be able to run an LA timing cover and cam that will accept the eccentric?  Otherwise you will have to go electric.

kawahonda

Yes, to my understanding an LA timing cover bolts right up to it, and then you can use the mechanical fuel pump.

That's kind of what this thread is for, is to understand what all I need to get ordered before hand when it comes to the "outside" of the engine. For example, what's some good recommendations on 340 reproduction valve covers (or if someone has a set)? Timing cover? V-belt pulleys, Other stuff that I can't think about right now. :)

Regarding the inside, I will talk to my builder about forged again. I think his position is that he isn't against it, but he doesn't feel it's needed for 400-450 HP. With that said, forged cranks only appear to be $180-200 more.

I also have been reading that 5.9s are balanced differently than 340s. I believe that means that I will need a new torque converter/flywheel.

1 Wild R/T

Forged crank is likely internally balanced so your current convertor is fine..

joyner29

If there is any way you can go with a mechanical fuel pump.....do it. I recently LA'd a 5.9 for my Cuda and was led in the direction of an electric fuel pump by some one who said that the magnums cranks do not have the eccentric for a mechanical pump. I mounted a Carter electric pump next to the tank on the cross member and I hate it. Way too loud even with a rubber pad between it and the crossmember.

YellowThumper

La timing cover will properly mount to Magnum. Bolts on heads are different than LA heads.
I have done the reverse. Magnum accessories on an La. You will need to have a cam that will mount the eccentric.
Valve covers are different and will not interchange. Bolts and mounting shape is different. Magnum 5.9 has different weight counterbalance than LA 360. Motor mount on drivers side may be different. They are for sure different between 318eccentric.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 24, 2019, 08:19:54 PM
Valve covers are different and will not interchange. Bolts and mounting shape is different.

Magnum uses ten bolts but five are exactly where the LA bolts are... You can bolt a LA cover on a magnum head & it will seal fine....

Chryco Psycho

Even if you use the LA front cover & a mechanical fuel pump you may have problems adapting the fuel pump eccentric to the roller cam

Bullitt-

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 25, 2019, 08:20:23 AM
Even if you use the LA front cover & a mechanical fuel pump you may have problems adapting the fuel pump eccentric to the roller cam

there's a solution
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?search=7013&partid=22194

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

kawahonda

gzig5

Quote from: Bullitt- on August 25, 2019, 09:26:37 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 25, 2019, 08:20:23 AM

there's a solution
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?search=7013&partid=22194

I think I'd rather go with an in-tank electric pump than hack it up to run a mechanical.  Just seems like a weak link, though I'm sure they work OK.  That way you're ready for fuel injection too.

kawahonda

Guys, it will be OK. :)

Almost got it to short block status. Cleaned as much as I gave a shit to clean...most of it will be sold off or hot tanked anyways.

Turned crank. Lots of compression.

RUNCHARGER

It looks nice and clean. How may miles are on it?
Sheldon

kawahonda

It came from the dude's father's truck (wrecked). He doesn't know the mileage though. He was guessing "around 100,000". Seems to make sense thus far.

My hope is that I'll be able to complete the total disassembly by this weekend. The engine builder wants to come over and measure things before I proceed any further.

Already started to add stuff on craigslist. Hopefully most of it will sell!