Help me LA'ify my soon to own 5.9!

Started by kawahonda, August 21, 2019, 02:38:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

YellowThumper

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 24, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
Quote from: YellowThumper on August 24, 2019, 08:19:54 PM
Valve covers are different and will not interchange. Bolts and mounting shape is different.

Magnum uses ten bolts but five are exactly where the LA bolts are... You can bolt a LA cover on a magnum head & it will seal fine....

So.. as I readily have both available I did some comparisons. Magnum 5.9 motor. This is one I will be building forged internals for the turbos.
Yes the 5 holes bolt up. No the mounting is not the same profile on the ends. But there does have some limited contact surfaces that hit. Contact gets thin but it is there.  Some castings may have issue though. Also may need to remove some of the valve cover outer flange to clear properly.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

kawahonda

Good post. I wonder if the EQ heads offer a little bit more surface area for the valve cover.......

It looks like it should seal fine. You have some gravity working against you for alignment....

Bullitt-

LA gasket on upside down... may make a difference.  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

1 Wild R/T

It's been done many times... Most say it works fine, a few have leaks... They claim the steel core with rubber embossed on it style gaskets seal perfectly...

YellowThumper

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 26, 2019, 09:52:01 PM
It's been done many times... Most say it works fine, a few have leaks... They claim the steel core with rubber embossed on it style gaskets seal perfectly...

Basically my point that it appears possible. Just with occasional issues due to casting variations.

I stand corrected with chin up. Lol.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

kawahonda

Builder came over and instructed me during the teardown.

He said this block is a candidate for a hone only. Excellent untouched block. When it goes to the machinist, we'll see what he says.

Even the 5.9 heads are crack free. We tried looking for several minutes. He said I should take no less than $250 for them. I have some doubts on that one...

RUNCHARGER

Yes: When I seen the photos of how clean it was I knew I would have slapped it in as is after doing a cam swap.
Sheldon

kawahonda

I need to pick out a cam now. It needs to retain the mechanical fuel pump eccentric. This is a 408 stroker.

The builder is recommending a 230 cam on 110 degree separation. Curious to here your guys' thoughts.

The CH318B EQ heads are already being worked on as we speak. This engine is coming together faster than I thought.

gzig5

I'm no expert but I think that is a good spec area to be for that motor.  I have a new Comp XE275HL cam and lifters (CL20-227-4) that I don't think I'll be using but it is for an LA motor.   Specs at 275/287 advertised,  231 Intake, 237 Exhaust @0.050", .525" lift In/Ex.  Bought with intention of sticking but I think I've convinced myself to go with new heads and a solid flat tappet cam when I swap from the 727 auto to a four speed.

kawahonda

My builder would like me to increase the quantity of my oil pan. I want to keep it stock-ish looking though.

What do you guys think about this oil pan?

Seems to check out all the boxes. Looks relatively stock and gains an extra quart.

Using on a 5.9 408 Stroker in a 70 Challenger w/ Exhaust Manifolds. I "may" go to headers, but that's distant future.

https://www.manciniracing.com/ma273318340c.html

Chryco Psycho

I highly doubt it will work , it is for the LA 318 / 340 the end seals are different on the 5.9

kawahonda

Some info from Magnum swap.com. I am using an LA timing cover.

"To install a Magnum motor in your car, you will need a car-style mid sump oil pan and matching pickup tube. All Magnum motors have rear sump truck-style oil pans. If you're putting the Magnum in a truck or SUV, the existing pan will work.
The Chrysler LA 360 oil pan will bolt-up to the Magnum with no modifications, but you aren't stuck with the typical leaky four-piece 360 Gasket. The Magnum uses a one-piece oil pan gasket. If you use the Magnum timing cover, you can use the gasket as-is. It is possible to use the Magnum gasket with the LA timing cover, but modifications to the front of the gasket are required. Details here: Oil Pan Gasket"

"When using an LA timing cover, it is still possible to use the one piece oil pan gasket from the Magnum engines. Simply use the front 'U 'from the timing cover kit—you'll need one to install the timing cover and water pump anyway–and cut away the corresponding U-shaped piece on the Magnum gasket. A little Rite StuffTM where the rubber gasket meets the new U, and VOILA! Leak free fit!

Scram Speed now sells a gasket kit specifically for this purpose, using the same gaskets we do."

It appears that that pan will work, and is what I should use. It's the one-piece gasket that I will need...

kawahonda

Psycho.....I think you are right..

Check out this one....meant for magnum engines.

https://www.manciniracing.com/ma360cesupa.html

What I don't know is if that's 4 qrt (stock 340) or if it's 5 qrt. Highly likely 5 qrt, but will call and confirm....

I'm thinking it would be a perfect pan for a retro-look...?

kawahonda

So the machine shop today made an error and accidentally over-bored one cylinder on the 5.9L.

Now I'm looking at a .040 overbore. Pretty pissed.

I think they at least owe me a free sonic check....