Main Menu

Help me LA'ify my soon to own 5.9!

Started by kawahonda, August 21, 2019, 02:38:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Your reply...

And this is the last one from me.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

kawahonda

Just realized that I will need to get a small block oil filter adapter. Does anyone have any spares sitting around?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Been slowly moving over the past few months.

Today I set the valve lash and preload to in between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn.

Started to mount the LD-340 intake, but learned that I need to use a thicker gasket (.030 and 060 was not enough). I measured it out to needing about .120 which thankfully I found on Summit. I also did some very slight reaming of the intake bolt holes so that the bolts would not mar the aluminum. After dry fitting with the new gaskets, I'm betting that I will need .25" or even slightly thicker cork gaskets for the front and rear rails. That didn't go as easy as planned!

Installed two drain plugs in the block today as well.

I also fitted the LA pan to the magnum block, and used the "wedge" method to seal the skirts. Feel pretty good about it, shouldn't leak. Oil pickup tube height is proper.

I still need to get a fuel pump for it. I know there's the basic ones which is the one I should probably get. Carter makes some higher flow-rate ones, which some say you need a fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if there's an "in-between" one out there? Could use some advice here.

Other than that, it's nearing paint time!

kawahonda

Wanted to ask you guys: Is it better to lower in the new small block with the manifolds attached, or without the manifolds attached? Power sterering, non-power brake car.

This will basically provide me with the next step. Thanks in advance!

kawahonda

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on September 27, 2020, 08:05:56 PM
Wanted to ask you guys: Is it better to lower in the new small block with the manifolds attached, or without the manifolds attached? Power sterering, non-power brake car.

This will basically provide me with the next step. Thanks in advance!

The 3 motor swaps I've been involved in we left the exhaust manifolds in the car.
Don't have to disconnect from the exhaust pipes that way .. If your replacing them it's probably easier to put them on first..     :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]