Main Menu

Hemi Block

Started by mezmerized1970, April 29, 2020, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mezmerized1970

I am looking at a hemi car that has a non-matching engine. Can anyone tell me what these marking mean? I'm guessing a warranty block?

Chryco Psycho

No clue on the markings sorry , But there is a serial # pad ust behine the right   engine mount , is it blank ? If it is blank it should be a warranty block or a pre 69 block , when was the block cast ?
if the block has ever been decked the pad would be wiped clean & the stampings could have been added by anyone .

Topcat

Topcat

Looks like V is 1964.

6bblgt

IMO the "1 V 1" are "random" assembly stamps that mean little post assembly - 1964 HEMIs are stamped/I.D.'d much differently

the "WT" is WATER TEST & is common to most '68+ HEMI blocks

if it is a '68 block, the VIN would be in the rough cast next to the oil pressure sending unit port
mid-model year 1968 the raised pad was added to the casting in the '69-up VIN stamp location

there should also be a "MN426................." & other info stamped on the bottom of the starter ear

RzeroB

Most all warranty and over-the-counter blocks sold through the parts department had the "WT" water-test stamp on them. Chances are the VIN pad on the passenger side oil pan rail is blank.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

:rubeyes:
notice Dave has the same 1968 block VIN used for his example  :looney:

mezmerized1970

thanks for the information. I'm going to look at the car in person sometime next week and will hopefully be able to gather more information.

carjunkie

I know this is an old thread but thought it was cool that you posted a pic of the actual block I'm getting ready to assemble! I just did a quick search of the VIN stamp wondering if the car or any information about it was out there somewhere. If you happen to see my post, do you have any info about the engine's history at all? Here's a pic of what it looks like now...

6bblgt

the only additional info I can offer is the car would be a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner or GTX

RM21J - RM23J - RS23J with 8A289597

carjunkie

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought where you had the pic you might have first hand knowledge of it.

How can you tell that it's out of a Roadrunner or GTX and not a Coronet R/T, Super Bee, or Charger?

6bblgt

b-bodies - NO Chargers at Lynch Rd. 1968 model year
VIN sequences are assigned in batches: batch of Plymouths, batch of Dodges - this VIN falls within a batch of Plymouths

carjunkie

Ok, thanks for the info.