Main Menu

Hemi swap (gen3) or 360, 340?

Started by Purepony, June 22, 2021, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Thank you racer x, we think alike because I don't want headers either I'm a manifolds kind of guy no leaks no probs and better clearance

HP2

So its sounding like complexity is highly variable. A lot of parts chasing, mixing and matching, and research. While not a Herculean effort compared to some swaps, certainly not as easy as any LS swap and considerably more involved than simply replacing the existing LA with another LA or Magnum engine.

RUNCHARGER

I think it depends on what you want for a finished product. Myself, I wouldn't think of building a modified car without fuel injecting it including an intank pump and most wouldn't build a car without A/C either. So if you're adding those items to an LA powered car the gap narrows on complexity. I prefer old engines in old cars as I really hate the way the new engines look. However if you're going for handling it is hard to ignore the weight advantages of the newer engines.
As far as cost goes you can't beat swapping an LA in where an LA was. A lot of people don't account for the price of different oil pans, engine mounting systems, cooling systems and exhaust systems when changing engine series. That stuff adds up in a hurry.
Sheldon

RacerX

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 24, 2021, 06:35:48 AM
I think it depends on what you want for a finished product. Myself, I wouldn't think of building a modified car without fuel injecting it including an intank pump and most wouldn't build a car without A/C either. So if you're adding those items to an LA powered car the gap narrows on complexity. I prefer old engines in old cars as I really hate the way the new engines look. However if you're going for handling it is hard to ignore the weight advantages of the newer engines.
As far as cost goes you can't beat swapping an LA in where an LA was. A lot of people don't account for the price of different oil pans, engine mounting systems, cooling systems and exhaust systems when changing engine series. That stuff adds up in a hurry.

I'm with you on the way modern engines look...   That is why for my G3 hemi swap I am not using the "beer barrel" intake.
From above, it will look like a big american V8 except with EFI and serpentine belt drive.    No added "bling" just all OEM mopar
parts as much as possible.

Too hot to drive one of these in Texas with no A/C, so that is definitely going in also.   Vintage air is right here in San Antonio
so that is the way to go.

It all does add up, but with parts availability these days rebuilding the old motors and systems isn't cheap either!   A big
benefit of modern systems in the old car is resetting the clock to zero on those and having relatively easy parts supply.

Purepony

La engines look cool too but I agree with racer x the costs are almost as high as a hemi.

I haven't drove a new hemi in a vintage car but I'm sure in the ends it's worth it because those things sound mean when I see a new charger or challenger driving around I can hear them