Main Menu

Holley Avenger Carb

Started by edison1970, October 24, 2018, 06:55:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bennydodge

If I get to 'em before the fuel burp, the ground straps are grey and the porcelain is brown/tan. I've heard different opinions on the grey color. I can't seem get the ground straps tan colored. They're either grey or soot black if I richen the idle mix
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

Strawdawg

brown tan is usually a good color.  Did you richen your main jets a couple of numbers as Neil suggested?
Steve

bennydodge

No, I'll stick with the richer idle mix and the colder plugs for now. If it still acts up I'll go with richer jetting at that point.
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

bennydodge

Update on the big Holley-After logging some miles recently, the fuel burping problem seems solved. To verify I installed hotter plugs and sure enough within 10 minutes of driving, the carb went into convulsions. A new problem however, with the colder plugs the throttle response is noticeably softer. I might mess with the jetting and vacuum advance as well.
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

Strawdawg

If running vacuum advance, be sure it is not much more than 45 degs total advance.  Often I have seen cars with a lot of initial advance go nuts when the vacuum advance kicks in because it ends up around 55 degs or so.

If it is within 45 or so, then do what Neil said and add some cruise fuel to it thru the main jets.  Hotter plugs say the car is over advanced or too lean as I see it.
Steve

bennydodge

Yeah I've played with the vac advance a bunch over the years. Last time I messed with it I got it to just barely ping then backed it off a quarter turn. Works nicely and the thing runs much stronger with it hooked up. Holley avengers are known for being lean. Hotter plugs with any of my other carbs is fine just not this one. I'll probably go back up to the box stock jetting on it and see what that does.
1973 Challenger 340
2010 Dodge 3500 dually

edison1970

I decided to go through the carb and good thing I did. There was quite a bit of debris in the front bowl and the filter was packed. I have 2 questions, 1.  What are the float setings supposed to be? I got a kit and  listed many carb #s but mine. 2. The picture I attached is the filters that are in each bowl inlet. The kit I got doesn't have them. Are they reusable?

JonH

floats should be set so fuel is at the bottom of the sight plugs with the car running at idle and sitting level. throw those filters away and use an inline filter between the pump and the carb inlets.

Chryco Psycho

@edison1970
My bet is your carb does not have sight plugs & you have to set inside the bowl , so we need the list # of the carb you have from the choke horn , usually the float will sit level when inverted but this can be inaccurate depending how the float had been adjusted in the past

jimynick

Those porous brass filters used to be standard equipment in GM Quadrajets, but I'm with the mentioned opinion to go with a inline filter- or two if there seems to be a debris issue steadily. I'd call the carb manufacturer for a float height spec. This is interesting to me and I look forward to seeing how it plays out here. Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"