Main Menu

Your Preferred Spark Plug wire brand is?....

Started by Topcat, April 15, 2020, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Just like to hear what brand everyone prefers and any reason(s) why.

I really feel Firecore50 is the best "Go To" wire set for high performance and durability.

There's so much re labeling out there; so what you're buying isn't what it really is.   :thinking:

MSD
Firecore50
Taylor
Accel
Davis Unified
ididiit
Moroso
Standard Motor Products
Scott Performance
Ultra Pow'r
Denso
Bosch
NGK
AC Delco

anlauto

A lot of top professional race cars rely on Firecore....and they make a nice black wire/orange boot "factory looking" 8mm wire set for Mopars. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I just bought/received these. Never tried them before?  :notsure:   I usually make my own with an MSD kit.
Davis Unified Ignition LiveWires
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-c9076bk

Topcat

RCman

Quote from: anlauto on April 15, 2020, 05:31:43 PM
A lot of top professional race cars rely on Firecore....and they make a nice black wire/orange boot "factory looking" 8mm wire set for Mopars. :alan2cents:
Yup. I am very happy with my Firecore set.
Made exactly how I needed them. Good to deal with.

Topcat

dodj

I have 8.8mm MSD on there now. Had 8mm Taylor before that. 8mm Accel before that.
None failed me.
So I guess they are all good.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Msbaugh440

I've been using the MSD 8.5 mm super conductor wires

tparker

So, I'll ask the obvious question, do they really make a difference? Obviously when you're in top tier racing brackets and people look to squeeze every drop out of their gear. But is one high performance wire set REALLY that much different? And how do you know a) that it's the wires and b) how much the effect is? I'm guessing cheap wires have more resistance and thus may not be delivering enough spark. It seems some wires are beery expensive. and Im not sure they are worth it for a non racing application. And I would imagine that the plugs make as big of a difference since you want to get that electricity into the chamber with a good spark.

Just curious to see your thoughts.

screamindriver

There are different companies that have the upper tier quality wires and when you reach that point you do have your pick..The convenient aspect to the Firecore wires are the work is done{length and components} and you get exactly what fits our application for the Mopar application..
  There is a noticeable difference going from a wire that has a few thousand ohms of resistance to a wire that has less than possibly 100 per foot.. I've even gone as far as indexing the plugs on engines with over 500hp for the chamber efficiency and have gained improvements in idle quality and performance..
  So ultimately it's a trade-off between the engine,expected performance, and price... IMO, A near stock engine would not see any gains that would offset the price difference of the wire sets.. :alan2cents:

Topcat

Cylinder pressure at the time of spark, it the main determining factor on how much volts the spark is delivered.
Cylinder pressure is resistance.

Chryco Psycho

I have ohm tested Taylor then given them a tug & retested them at double the ohms so I never use them ,
I would pick Firecore as the best but I have never used Davis

Topcat

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 15, 2020, 09:54:11 PM
I have ohm tested Taylor then given them a tug & retested them at double the ohms so I never use them ,
I would pick Firecore as the best but I have never used Davis

Taylor used years ago.
they didn't last as long as I was hoping for.

Topcat

MSD & Taylor albeit, are re-labeling on another make.  :alan2cents: