Main Menu

340 spark plug wire routing - how'd you do it?

Started by Dakota, January 04, 2018, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

It's definitely too cold in the garage to work on the Challenger, so I'm left thinking rather wrenching.  Today's brain wander has me wondering what I'm going to do with the routing of the spark plug wires on my 340.  I have stock exhaust manifolds and aluminum "Mopar Performance" valve covers.  There are lots of wire loom separators on Summit that range from those that are mounted on the valve covers to clips and clamps that hold the wires together in more of a "free floating" arrangement.  Add the choices between stock and custom wire length and I overload easily.  I'd love to see pictures about what other members who have 340s have done with their spark plug wire routing.

Cuda Cody

There's a lot of experts in this hobby, but when it comes  to 340's I think @ScottSmith_Harms  is one of the best 340 guys.  Maybe he'll chime in.

ScottSmith_Harms

Thanks for the props Cody, very nice of you. But I'll have to humbly bow out of this one as I probably cant help much when it comes to modified engines and plug wire routing. This is my engine if it helps any, routing is as original as I know to make it. Wires are NOS originals.

Cudakiller70

Cuda Cody

That is art!  I would love to put that engine in my living room!  :inlove:

Dakota

blown motor

Here's mine. The wires are a cut to length kit I got from Summit about 4 or 5 years ago. Available in different colours. If you go this route be sure to buy the proper crimper for attaching the boots.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

1 Wild R/T

More of a clean resto mod build..  I used vertical loom mounts from Made for You products.. I didn't use the mount with three locations...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mfy-5075611/overview/

cudabob496

I like buying the 25 ft roll, and cutting them to a specific length.
In that way you can route them out of sight.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Shane Kelley

I use the Taylor wires and 2 sets of separators. I keep everything tight to the valve covers. Obviously this is custom and not for the factory look. 

GoodysGotaCuda

My 318 was routed like this. I may still have these brackets, but they were bought from summit 10 years ago. I used cut-to-length wires and two 90° boots. Worked and looked very good/well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Crash520

MSD, you can bend the plug connectors so as the don't run into each other making it easier to flow the leads back, I used the factory wire holders at this point
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Plum_crazy_T/A