Main Menu

Is this a A833 tranny

Started by soundcontrol, April 28, 2017, 01:12:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Can anyone help me ID this tranny, I thinking about buying it for my -73 project. It is supposed to be an a833, but I have no experience with 4-speeds at all. What is it worth? Private seller, as is.

Cuda Cody

Get the VIN off the side.  The tail shaft is wrong for E-Body.  The E-Bodies need a rear mounted pad.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Looks like a 23 spline A833 to me. Possibly a 70 and older due to the side cover style. Different detent style. The 70 TA cars had an improved detent design and that was carried on to other cars 71 and later, if I'm not mistaken.

Is it for an E body? I cannot see a shifter location on the tail housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

soundcontrol

Thanks guys, so the shifter on an e-body is supposed to be at the end like Codys pictures, got it. Don't see that on this one, I asked for more pictures of the tail and if there is a VIN on the right side.

71GranCoupe

As others said, not correct for 70 and up. It is easy to see, no rear shifter mount. Most likely not an a-body, as their mount is almost in the middle or the tail shaft. Looks to have the larger front bearing cover/guide. Will have the older inside shifter mechanisms, but if you can get it a good price, as hard as MOPAR stuff is to find over there, maybe a good move for trading stock.  :alan2cents:

ec_co

the tail shaft can also be changed out to an e-body style. might be cheaper to ship an e-body tail overseas than a full A833
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

HP_Cuda

Looks to be from a B-body and yes you can change out the tail shaft but easier to just look for an ebody A833 in good shape.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

I can get a refurbished A833 here from a company for $1250, that might be a better way, even if this one is cheaper.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 29, 2017, 02:22:38 AM
I can get a refurbished A833 here from a company for $1250, that might be a better way, even if this one is cheaper.

For sure easier to just buy one. Various output shafts make it a pain to convert to E body from some 833

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!