Main Menu

Jamie Passion 5 speed Transmission ?

Started by anlauto, July 28, 2017, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

But he has a certain audience, Those who aren't willing to modify the car at all.... His five speed fits without any cutting, uses the stock trans crossmember & fits like the factory built it.....  But the wait is a killer & he really should farm it out...

Marc70challenger

First rule of business - make it easy for people to give you money.

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 29, 2017, 07:30:22 AM
But he has a certain audience, Those who aren't willing to modify the car at all.... His five speed fits without any cutting, uses the stock trans crossmember & fits like the factory built it.....  But the wait is a killer & he really should farm it out...

I said from the beginning he should have sold is pattens or designs to one of the big dogs who has the money for a major manufacturing undertaking like this, and pump them out !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I think business wise it's a tough spot. You will sell perhaps 500 of them total over say the next 10 years. If you put a team together, get all the parts made and assemble them all at once you are going to be paying interest on the investment for a while until they are all sold. You might pay for all the parts for the 500 units and only sell 450 of them and your profit is gone.
These are built from scratch and only Mopar guys are going to buy them. It sounds like he has orders for maybe 300 at the most, when he fills those orders I would not imagine there will be that many more orders. I think it's a great product but a lot of guys either build the car totally stock or totally modified, if you have no problems putting a modern Hemi in an E-body then you don't have a problem with whacking the floor pan for whatever modern trans works behind that modern Hemi either. I hope Jamie does okay on them.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

In a business sense, I'm sure Jaime does not want to learn the Scott Harms shaker hood lesson.

First you have to know your market: it's size and it's appetite for your product. Once that shrinks your demand will go down exponentially and all the upfront costs associated with developing said product is out the window.

Scott learned that using inexpensive tooling only made so many pieces and then demand started drying up and he also had competitors. 
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
I also believe there are a lot more customers than are on the list , I would have sold a bunch when I was still building cars for people & I would also own one even though  I have never put my name on the list  , 4 spd conversions are very popular now that most cars are not daily driven & & the feel of a modern car having OD with zero modification is very desirable  but as with everything there is still a limited market .

jimynick

I think Neil's on the money insofar that if there were more trans's available, there'd be more people buying them and if the production ramped up, hopefully the price could come down and then manys a Tom, Dick and Harry, including me, would buy one. Waiting 3-4-5 years to pay $5k for a trans doesn't qualify as foreplay for me.  :no:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

You got it: You don't want to kill the inertia when you bring out a new product. It's really hard to get the excitement going the second time.
Sheldon

Shoooter

A friend of mine Barry tunzelmann had one in his challenger. He loved it and said it was better than the Trimac.  He has since sold the car.

Cuda Cody

This is one trans that if were readily available I would probable buy one.  The idea of having a 5 speed without having to modify the floor pan or lower firewall is awesome. 

Voodoo Child

Last year when I was ready to pull the trigger on a auto to 5spd. conversion kit for my 70, It was a toss up between Silver Sport, Hurst and Passion. I was leaning toward Passion being Jamie's shop is only a 1hr drive for me. I talked to him a Carlisle last year about a complete 5spd conversion kit, he didn't sound too convincing about the availability of the trans! He said he could put a kit together for me but the trans was the hold up, vender issues! I asked him for just a rough estimate on cost? He said I was looking at around $9,500  :Thud: With the wait time on the trans and having to cut the floor anyway I went with the Tremec TKO 600 kit from Silver Sport. Carlisle show price of $5,800. :takemymoney: Very pleased with the trans and couldn't be happier, the car is a complete riot to drive now! :ohyeah: I hope Jaime can get this trans out to the masses. Seeing one in person, it is a quality piece indeed!  :clapping:         

FSHTAIL

I really want one.    My car tachs up a bit high at 65. 

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

mjb765

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 29, 2017, 10:54:45 PM
This is one trans that if were readily available I would probable buy one.  The idea of having a 5 speed without having to modify the floor pan or lower firewall is awesome.

Agreed...I am number 182 (I think)..signed up at Carlisle has to be 5 years now. Changed rear end gears since I am still waiting for the trans......

ec_co

Quote from: mjb765 on July 31, 2017, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 29, 2017, 10:54:45 PM

Agreed...I am number 182 (I think)..signed up at Carlisle has to be 5 years now. Changed rear end gears since I am still waiting for the trans......

sounds like your # might be close
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came