Main Menu

leaking fuel tank fill line grommet

Started by Dakota, February 11, 2021, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

As I mentioned in my build thread a while ago, I have a fuel leak coming from a tear in the grommet where the fill line enters the fuel tank.   The leaking starts when I go above about 3/4 full in the tank.    I've attached a picture below to show the location and how the "flange" of the grommet is separated from the rest of the grommet. 

I'm fairly certain that the only way to fix this is to replace the grommet, but I thought I would check first to see if anyone has had any success using a Permatex product (or something like it) to seal a leak like this.   It's got to be something that works reliably or there's no point using it.

Also, is changing the grommet easier to do in cold weather or warm weather?   It's a blistering 20 degrees right now.   While I'm not thrilled about working in a cold garage, at least the gas fumes will be at a minimum.

B5fourspeed

I had this issue after I restored my first Cuda.The problem was the grommet that I thought was new was very hard.Shelf life dried out the grommet.When I installed the grommet it split when I put the filler neck in.I did not know it was leaking until I filled the tank up.It leaked so bad that gas poured all over the exhaust.How the car did not blow up I don't know.When I purchase the new grommet it was super soft.Lower the tank a little and pull out the filler neck.I would remove some gas from the tank before lowering the it.Put some lubricant on the filler neck so it can slip in easily.

GoodysGotaCuda

You might be able to find a sort of fuel-resistant sealant. Just about any "RTV" will dissolve with gasoline.

I had issues with mine initially, I believe I installed it backwards.  :wrenching:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

"Put some lubricant on the filler neck so it can slip in easily"  Good advice- said the nun to the vicar. Good luck!  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Topcat

So many have had Fuel tank grommet leaks before.
Including myself.

Petroleum Jelly lubed on filler neck and inner grommet
As the tank is being tight-end and going up into position and going up into place; continue gradually pushing the filler neck in.

Ya get the picture?   ::)

The sender unit ring is another one that can be a challenge.

BIGSHCLUNK

1- Replace it, just make sure the new one's soft  :wrenching:
2- Wait till spring   :yes:

Dakota

Thanks for the replies.   I've ordered 2 new grommets from Roseville.  I'll wait until it's a bit warmer to do the install.  While waiting, I can use up the gas in the tank in another vehicle.   

jimynick

"While waiting, I can use up the gas in the tank in another vehicle." Being in Buffalo, would that be in the snow blower, by chance? LOL   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jay Bee

I didn't remove my original grommet. I assume that SIDE A goes inside the tank - correct.

Floyd

anlauto

Apparently they have been found both ways. I always put the "A" side in the tank. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

:Thud:  I'm thinking I should start a survey   :pullinghair: 

Dakota

Mine is in bassackwards if Side A is supposed to be in the tank.

Jay Bee

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon