Main Menu

Looking for a U Joint

Started by anlauto, January 14, 2019, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay I have two small block 1970 Barracuda's on the go, both have drive shafts with a small U joint up front (7260) and a large U joint at the rear (7290)...The large U joint is no problem....but I'll be dammed if I can find the right front U joint

I've purchased three different MOOG U joints now, all supposed to fit but they are all 1/8" too wide  :headbang: What gives ?

Any body find a brand that will fit ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Spicer U-joints are the best AFIAK. I bet they'll make one. They have an online catalog. NAPA sells them.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

That one says "The span between the yoke inner surfaces where the "C" Clips lock in is 2.125 inches"  which is the exact same thing ALL the Moog ones I ordered say ......My yoke is 2.125 or 2 1/8" ....

HOWEVER every U joint I've bought is NOT 2.125  but in fact 2.250  1/8" too wide  :headbang:

I was hoping someone else has had this issue and found a solution with a different brand....I don't want to keep ordering U joints, they're starting to stack up... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Katfish

Got a pic of the yoke, sounds like that's the problem, compressed maybe?

anlauto

Quote from: Katfish on January 14, 2019, 03:32:14 PM
Got a pic of the yoke, sounds like that's the problem, compressed maybe?

NO...the problem is NOT in the slip yoke or the drive shaft. I have both original U Joints Detroit 2266909. Look at the measurement on the original joint compared to the new joint. The new one is 1/8" wider. I didn't adjust the caliper, you can see the difference.

A.Gramz

I use these guys in missaugga often.  http://www.patsdriveline.com/ - give them a call and the dimensions they should be able to get you the right ones

PatO

Alan,

I had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago when I installed my drive shaft.  2 New joints, Spicer?, at NAPA, got home and they were two large.  I'm pretty sure I ended up with these:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UJQUJ246

They swapped me out, no problem.  On the spicers - the information in the parts book was just wrong.  :pullinghair:

anlauto

I'm going to NAPA tomorrow...hopefully they will have one in stock  :fingerscrossed: so I can measure before buying.

Dakota

Alan - i just went through the same thing.  I ended up buying a Duralast u-joint (1-6301DL) from AutoZone for the front.  it fit fine. The Spicer 5-789X is supposed to fit but doesn't.

blown motor

I saw the title of this thread and thought "Alan, go to your local cannabis store. They have a joint for U."  :))
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Went to NAPA this morning....and ordered the UJ246 as mentioned above. dimensions say it measures 2 1/8" but take it out of the box and like all the MOOG joints I have here it measure's 2 1/4"  :pullinghair:  My local CARQUEST no longer carries "CARQUEST" brand, say they are all Moog now. The carquest 210-1306 as listed above crosses over to the 246 Moog which is again too wide....

Back to the start again...

VCODE

Alan,
Try and find a NOS Chrysler one.

anlauto

Quote from: VCODE on January 15, 2019, 01:56:57 PM
Alan,
Try and find a NOS Chrysler one.

I'm not as RICH as you Bob :bigmoney: :crying:

73_Cuda_4_Me

Hey Alan, If you put the caps on the u-joint, and put c-clips in the grooves, yours measure 2.250 outside to outside on the c-clips???

The newer u-joint centers are beefier in strength, so I can understand your measurement, but it's the cut of the groove on the cap that determines the 2.125 outside to outside of both grooves. New caps could be 1/16 shorter than the old ones and still have grooves in right place on new centers.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B