Main Menu

Looking for some suggestions on rear end/suspension, etc

Started by DodgeGuy, October 29, 2018, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

For your rear stance, reduce your passenger side height adjustment on the front t-bar. OR, increase your drivers side.
IMO, if you can afford a 5 speed trans, go that way. If you can't, decide if 'lighting up' your tires is important to you. If it is, go with the od trans. If it isn't, re-gear to 3.23's. If it were me I would re-gear to 3.23 and preserve the nice shift spread of the original 833.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

DodgeGuy

Quote from: Brads70 on October 30, 2018, 04:35:36 PM
Quote from: DodgeGuy on October 30, 2018, 04:23:11 PM

Any suggestions on the slight sag to the driver's side (leafs?) and any potential upgrades in that area?

How is the front end for being equal side to side. I ask as when you adjust the torsion bars it also effects the rear heights  some. How old are your leafs?

I've never noticed the front leaning one way or the other.  I'll have to take a closer look, but the back was so noticeable to me (because I notice stupid things like that) and I don't remember the front being that way.

I did wonder if the torsion bars might be a culprit.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Chryco Psycho

Often you will not notice a difference in the front , as little as a 1/4 " in front can be very noticable in the rear

HP2

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2018, 10:30:49 PM
Often you will not notice a difference in the front , as little as a 1/4 " in front can be very noticable in the rear

Exactly. This is why a lot of guys don't look at the front as a solution with the rear. But, that 1/4" difference in the front over the 18' length to the rear can turn into a 2" difference when viewed from behind.

The thing about the 4spd OD unit that I think some people overlook is that if you are rebuilding it, you don't have to duplicate all of the original OD ratios. You can drop in the OD cluster to your existing 833 and retain decent spread between the other gears while getting the OD feature. Its certainly not an all or nothing deal unless you swap an original aluminum case OD unit that has not been changed in place of your iron case unit.

303 Mopar

I would prefer a good, used one, maybe even one I could trade my 3.91 for, but I'm not opposed to buying a new one at that price.

I sent you a PM.

gzig5

Any suggestions on the slight sag to the driver's side (leafs?) and any potential upgrades in that area?

Go on a diet??

Oh, that's with you out of the car, never mind. :haha:

xx88man

[/quote]
The thing about the 4spd OD unit that I think some people overlook is that if you are rebuilding it, you don't have to duplicate all of the original OD ratios. You can drop in the OD cluster to your existing 833 and retain decent spread between the other gears while getting the OD feature. Its certainly not an all or nothing deal unless you swap an original aluminum case OD unit that has not been changed in place of your iron case unit.
[/quote]

@HP2  Are you talking about the Passon OD cluster or an original OD cluster from an aluminum case? Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread....just trying to learn
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

The gears sets are matched , it is all or nothing , you can swap od parts into an iron case either original A833 od or Passon OD will go in but you have to keep all 4 gear ratios , , you cannot just swap in the OD gear in 3rd gear position & use the original 1-2-4 gear.
Personally I like the factory OD 833 & have done numerous swaps , it is workable & affordable  :alan2cents:

GY3R/T

Definatly all or nothing. Can't mix-match gears.    :stop:

xx88man

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 01, 2018, 09:23:28 AM
The gears sets are matched , it is all or nothing , you can swap od parts into an iron case either original A833 od or Passon OD will go in but you have to keep all 4 gear ratios , , you cannot just swap in the OD gear in 3rd gear position & use the original 1-2-4 gear.
Personally I like the factory OD 833 & have done numerous swaps , it is workable & affordable  :alan2cents:

I am aware that I can't mix and match gears.... sorry if I worded it that way. I have a factory OD transmission and I have a factory 4-speed from a 1970 e-body. I don't mind swapping the gear cluster into my iron case...just wondering if that would be pretty much the same as putting in a cluster from Passon?
:notsure:
Keep yer foot in it

gzig5

Passon puts a 2.66 first gear in place of the 3.09 which bothers some.  Otherwise second, third, and fourth are similar to the 833 OD.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-833-the-ultimate-mopar-4-speed-fix-get-overdrive-and-strength/

That 3.09 isn't a bad thing to have in a heavy car, but if your motor won't rev you'll use up first gear pretty quick.  My BMW M5 has a 4.22 first gear and with the 3.45 in the pumpkin it gets that big car moving quick, but that motor redlines at 7200 rpm.  When I'm not in a hurry I just start out in second which is 2.52.

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

HP2

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 01, 2018, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: GY3R/T on November 01, 2018, 09:54:49 AM
   Definatly all or nothing. Can't mix-match gears.    :stop:

You guys are kidding me right? With all the different ratios that came in  the 833, you can't change gear clusters?  That has got to be the first time I've been disappointed in Mopar engineering. Even POS saginaws can have the ratios changed within a range of ratios.

Chryco Psycho

The counter shaft is a 1 piece unit , you cannot replace individual gears on the counter shaft so the 4 gears on the counter shaft have to match  the 3 on the main shaft & the 1 gear drive pinion so it is all or nothing

HP2

Wow, what a downer. I've never been in the guts of an 833, so this is a surprise to me. That really sucks.