Main Menu

1971 E body Raise the rear 1.5", suggestions?

Started by docmel, July 27, 2020, 08:31:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

Id like to raise the rear about 1.5"   

Background: Stock ebody, 8 3/4 axle, 15" rims, new OEM type leaf springs, 1 year old stock type shocks..........

Extended shackles or air shocks are not an option.  That being said, how can I raise the rear:  Are longer shocks an option? 

If so, what length (from eye to eye) should I look for, if this is an option that would work..........

JonH

Shocks will not raise the rear. Springs hold the car up not shocks. The best way is new springs. Over arched springs available from various manufacturers. Many threads on here about this. Use the search feature...

gzig5

I have heard decent reports on the Espo springs and they will do a +1 or +2 height.  There are several other suppliers.  You could get your springs re-arched or possibly add a leaf.
https://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm

GrandpaKevin

1971 Challenger R/T

These are ESPO leaf springs that are rated at 1.5" over stock.

15x8 wheels, 275/60-15 tires on the rear.

GrandpaKevin

My other 1971 Challenger R/T with same tires/wheels.

New Mopar OEM XHD factory leaf springs installed.

Hated the low factory ride height and removed/replaced the leaf springs the next day.

GrandpaKevin

Final option is to install new front leaf spring hangers with the 2 holes.

Using the top holes will raise the car approximately 1" with it's current leaf springs.

docmel

Thanks folks

1.  I cant get a new set or after market leaf springs.  The set I have are new, oem style, and the $$ has been spent.  I didnt want new shackels, but what Grandpa Kevin put up, I  might consider

Fern

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on July 27, 2020, 11:15:40 AM
Final option is to install new front leaf spring hangers with the 2 holes.

Using the top holes will raise the car approximately 1" with it's current leaf springs.

Where did you find those?

screamindriver

The MP OEM style springs are known for their low ride height and fast deterioration which make it even lower.. The two hole hangars will raise the  spring height half of the difference between the holes{you're only raising one end of the spring}...And you'll still have the rapid spring sag if you put any miles on the car.. Save some money and go ESPO or Super Stock in the future... :alan2cents:

GrandpaKevin

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: screamindriver on July 27, 2020, 02:25:39 PM
The MP OEM style springs are known for their low ride height and fast deterioration which make it even lower.. The two hole hangars will raise the  spring height half of the difference between the holes{you're only raising one end of the spring}...And you'll still have the rapid spring sag if you put any miles on the car.. Save some money and go ESPO or Super Stock in the future... :alan2cents:
:iagree:

The Mopar OEM leaf springs are made with cheap steel and are notorious for sagging within a year or two.

Chryco Psycho

I recommend install 1 leaf , full main leaf under te existin main leaf

7212Mopar

I got the Mopar Made in Mexico XHD springs from Summit. Mount it and it sat low just like the old springs. Then I did what Chryco suggested and cut out the main leaf from the old set and then add direct below the main leaf of the new spring. You will need a longer center bolt and new spring clips to reassemble. If you don't care if it does not look stock, you can get them at Summit. Car now seat higher but not like rear is jack up. Both front and back are the same height measure from floor to wheel arch. The resulting spring rate is higher so you need better shocks to control the rebound.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RUNCHARGER

Yes: A great mod that I've been doing for decades and almost free.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on July 27, 2020, 11:11:26 AM
My other 1971 Challenger R/T
:worship:
Cuz you can't have too many Challenger R/T's in the driveway...lol
:drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill