Main Menu

Manual trans 5 or 6 Speed swap kits?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 04, 2021, 03:34:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

It appears my 3 fingered pressure plate/clutch combo has shlt the bed.   

I'm thinking of doing a modern 5/6 speed swap to replace the A833..
I do a lot of cross country driving in this on a 27.8" tall tires with 3.55's out back.

I really just want a 5th maybe even 6th gear to drop the RPM's and I want smooth shifting..   

I've seen 2 businesses that seem to sell what appears to have a complete kit....

From bell housing to *drive shaft (*I think, but 1 does for sure)

American Powertrain
Silver Sport Transmissions

Anyone I missed?
Perhaps a vendor that gives a discount to E-Bodies members?

I'm looking for some "hands on" feedback from those of you that stepped into this project.   

Few questions.   

Did you have to do any kind of offset dowel pins to center the transmission in relation to the crank shaft input bearing?

Can you order a clutch kit for the cars original application or do you have to use something specific to work with that transmission?

Does the hydraulic throw out bearing/slave cylinder have a good feel?
Did the clutch pedal work for the conversion?

I'm guessing I might have to clearance the trans tunnel,  but on the Tremec TKX 5 speed it looks pretty small vs the T56 6 speed..     I'm wondering if there's any clearancing needed if the car is already a floor humped A833 car.   

Just looking to see what I'm getting myself into.   

Your likes/dislikes with their product and/or customer service. 

Thanks. 

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

1972V21Cuda

The new TKX is supposed to fit in the stock tunnel. One of the places you mentioned is putting one in a Challenger right now.

Skdmark

Passon Performance would be another option.
https://www.passonperformance.com/

I have read about their notoriously long waiting list on moparts.
Not sure what the latest is.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

I've dealt with both companies, I prefer the customer service of Silver Sport  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

I doubt you could acquire a Passon A855 transmission unless someone who just received their decided to resell. The waitlist there has been going on for what, 8-10 years now?  Now, its entirely possible you could have Passon rebuild your A833 and convert it to an overdrive. This turns it from a straight 4 speed to a 3 speed with overdrive. Not the perfect answer, but maybe a adequate solution if you do extended highway driving.

Yes, the TKX is supposed to be smaller and not require tunnel surgery that other Tremec units required.

A T56 will require extensive work to the tunnel.

McCleod has the M-800, an internal rail 5 speed developed some years back. The lack of decent Mopar 5 speeds prompted the development of this unit, but  I've never heard anything good or bad about it at all. I doubt there are kits for these or there would be more info about them floating around out there.

70rag383

I've got the TKO-600 5-speed in my Challenger (originally from Keisler, Silversport bought out Keisler). I went from auto to manual conversion and the tunnel didn't require mods other than the addition of the 4-speed hump.

The transmission has been amazing. Came with a hydraulic clutch. Very smooth, easy shifting.  I have 3.55's with 255/50R17's and the car is a pleasure to drive at 70mph. I have not had to deal with Silversport for any issues after 3 years and 6,000 miles.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on June 04, 2021, 04:31:48 AM
The new TKX is supposed to fit in the stock tunnel. One of the places you mentioned is putting one in a Challenger right now.

Did you see a video or something of them installing it?
Which company?

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

GoodysGotaCuda

I have a t56 from SST, mine is from before they had an ebody specific shifter mount.

So far I have around 10,000 miles on the car and it's been very good. Typical hydraulic clutch, I didn't do anything fancy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rich G.

Ditto here with the 5 speed and hydraulic clutch. No problems and the way to go if you plan on doing a lot of driving and don't care about being original. Pretty simple conversion.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Rich G. on June 05, 2021, 06:55:25 AM
Ditto here with the 5 speed and hydraulic clutch. No problems and the way to go if you plan on doing a lot of driving and don't care about being original. Pretty simple conversion.

Did they have you measure your flywheel and driveline length?

anlauto

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on June 04, 2021, 01:26:13 PM

So far I have around 10,000 miles on the car and it's been very good. Typical hydraulic clutch, I didn't do anything fancy there.

QuoteI have not had to deal with Silversport for any issues after 3 years and 6,000 miles.

Glad to hear you guys are actually putting serious miles on these cars  :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70rag383

Quote from: anlauto on June 07, 2021, 04:44:11 PM

QuoteI have not had to deal with Silversport for any issues after 3 years and 6,000 miles.

Glad to hear you guys are actually putting serious miles on these cars  :ohyeah:

Lots of trips to Dairy Queen. Should be out to visit the Georgetown DQ soon  :yes: Alan!

anlauto

Quote from: 70rag383 on June 07, 2021, 05:29:24 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 07, 2021, 04:44:11 PM

Lots of trips to Dairy Queen. Should be out to visit the Georgetown DQ soon  :yes: Alan!

Drop in when I have this black car back from the body shop in the next few weeks... :drooling: ....or drop in anytime ....With  DQ Blizzard of course :rofl:

jbaha

Hey!  :alan2cents: I don't know about the kit, but i've put an AX15 behind my tuned 318, you just need to build a new crossmember and drill a hole in the floor for the "joy stick" 

I don't know if you have big mods on your 340 but the AX15 is certainly not made for big HP! (apparently)