Main Menu

Manual transmission lube

Started by ksierens, July 30, 2019, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

I have been researching what fluid to use in my trans, and frankly, it is getting over whelming. Redline, Driven, Royal Purple, Brad Penn, Lucas, Valvoline ...

I will just be cruising with my car, so does it really matter other than not using GL5 oils?  I was thinking about just using Valvoline High performance gear oil SAE 80W-90, but looking for arguments against it.

Thanks, Kurt
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Chryco Psycho

GL4 80-90w is what I would be using , brand is your call , I use Castrol mostly

303 Mopar

I use Sta-Lube. Synthetic is too thin for the synchros and leaks.

RUNCHARGER

The Valvoline will work fine.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 31, 2019, 05:58:36 AM
Synthetic is too thin for the synchros and leaks.
I'm no 4sp guru, but I thought the thinner stuff was better for synchro operation?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Marksmopar1

I have always used 80-90 Gear oil...never an issue.....

303 Mopar

Quote from: dodj on July 31, 2019, 10:03:00 AM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 31, 2019, 05:58:36 AM
Synthetic is too thin for the synchros and leaks.
I'm no 4sp guru, but I thought the thinner stuff was better for synchro operation?  :dunno:

Here is more detail as to why...

Chryco Psycho

not so much to do with viscosity but Synthetic is too slippery , any GL5 rated gear oil is to slippery for the syncro to grab

Arctoad

Royal Purple 75W90 awesome. Expensive though, $26.00/Q, 4 Q needed.

dodj

I use ATF in my 833. Works far better than 75/90. I originally put 75/90 in my 833 but the synchros did not work well. Little bit of gear grinding...unless you shift really slow. Swapped in ATF and it shifts beautifully.

Shifts better than 75/90 and after 25 years of hard shifting the insides last year were pristine.

Which is why I figured thinner is better for synchros.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

ksierens

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I ended up going with Driven conventional 80w90 lube.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54