Main Menu

Manual transmission clutch switch

Started by Cudalbs, February 12, 2017, 04:20:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudalbs

My car has never had a clutch switch hooked up while I have owned it. Just a 2" cut off piece of wire coming off the switch. So today I went out to wire it up and I'm not quite sure I understand how this thing works. The wiring diagram shows this one wire running up to the ground on the starter relay. I am certainly not and electrical expert, but I don't understand how that makes this switch do its job. If it runs to a ground, couldn't it just run to any ground since all the grounds are common? Like I said, I'm no expert so maybe someone can explain how this works.
Thanks, Mike
"Love those round taillight cars"

Roadman

The ground triggers the starter relay. 

GoodysGotaCuda

The starter relay under the hood needs 12v and a ground source to actuate. The ignition switch provides +12v in the "start" position, the ground will come from the clutch switch when it is depressed.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

Cudalbs

Aahhhh, I see now. I have a ground already coming off of the relay that I will need to disconnect and then replace with the wire coming off the clutch switch. I feel pretty dumb now that I see what's happening. Thanks you guys, sorry to waste your time on that one.  :bricks:
"Love those round taillight cars"

Roadman

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 12, 2017, 04:45:00 PM
Aahhhh, I see now. I have a ground already coming off of the relay that I will need to disconnect and then replace with the wire coming off the clutch switch. I feel pretty dumb now that I see what's happening. Thanks you guys, sorry to waste your time on that one.  :bricks:

Not a prob, that's why were here.    :grouphug:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 12, 2017, 04:45:00 PM
I am sure others out there will benfit from this good question and the great answers. It is always a good refresher as well.  It is called teamwork.  :grouphug: :cheers: