Main Menu

Choosing a New Manual Transmission

Started by 303 Mopar, February 05, 2017, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I am looking to convert my '70 Cuda from a 727 to a manual transmission and would like input on my options, especially from anyone who has installed a Tremec transmission.  Cost is pretty close on all options, with the 833 4 speed a little cheaper.  Also, what clutch would be best for my set up (hydraulic, etc).

I have a new 392 Hemi engine with a full manual 727 auto and 3.55 gears on 275/40/18 (26.7") tires currently.  I options with pros/cons are:

1. 833 4 speed - perfect fit, easiest to install, 4th is 1:1 so 3355 rpm at 75 mph

2. 833 4 speed OD by Passon - all the above with 3rd 1:1 and 4th is .80:1 which is approx. 2685 rpm at 75 mph

3. 855 5 speed by Passon - my ultimate wish but I've been on "the list" for a few years and there is no timeline for when, if ever, Jamie will get to my number, but you still get 1:1 in 4th and 5th is .70:1 which is approx. 2345 at 75 mph

4. Tremec TKO 5 spd - I've heard of tunnel fitment issues, while others say its no big deal.  Also driveshaft angle issues causing vibrations.  But they are available now, are offset shifters so its in the factory location, and 5th is .68:1 which is approx. 2190 rpm at 75 mph.

Cuda Cody

If the  855 5 speed by Passon was available now it would be an easy decision.  Everything else you give something up to get what you want.  If you go with the 833 4 speed OD once (if) the 855 comes out the 833 OD will have little value.  Tough choice.   :dunno:

Brads70

I'f your thinking of modifying the floor any how , I'd think I'd used a Viper T-56 over the tremec  The tremec's have scared me off with the vibration issues and power shifting issues.
Keep in mind the desired RPM's your engine is " happy" at , I have 3.54 in my Dana and will likely be swapping out to a 4.10 to raise the RPM's up at 65 MPH , my combo is at 2000 rpm's at 65 Mph now which is too low, engine almost lugs at that RPM. Speedo hook up  might be an issue? I have a GPS speedo ( aftermarket) so it makes no difference. 

Chryco Psycho

2&3
you will be disappointed with choice #4

RUNCHARGER

I think Passon is making fairly good headway on the 5 speed. I would wait if you are on the list anyway. They aren't unicorns anymore and you'll get a product. IMHO anyway.

Sheldon
Sheldon

Blake@diyhemi.com

I put an 833 behind my 5.7 and have a Lakewood bellhousing to run a tremec 5 speed.

The positives about the 833.

1) A direct swap and easy to find
2) Custom driveshaft not necessary
3) Easy to rebuild
4) Plethora of clutch options
5) manual and hydraulic clutch options
6) fairly lightweight
7) several bellhousing options, including SFI approved

American Powertrain sells the correct flywheel for this swap and I was able to get it for 260 shipped to my door. It uses the standard old school 10.5" clutch bolt pattern and there are worlds of clutches available. A little inside scoop, it's a typical Chrysler 8 bolt 10.5" flywheel that some companies pretend is something special. I'm pretty sure it's made by McLeod based on packaging.
I'm running a Ram power grip clutch with  manual Z bar and timken throw out bearing. Hydraulic throw out  is better, but I had everything for the manual setup, so I'm doing that for now.

You will need the pilot bearing from a 99ish Dakota V8 with manual transmission (will get the part number). The starter from a 2005 2500 HD Hemi Ram truck fits tighter and is nicer than any aftermarket mini starter. I'll get you a number for that too. You will also need to cut 7/8" off the top of your input shaft.

Remember to check your bellhousing runout. Tolerances should be no more than 0.006 total in any direction. I had to order offset dowels to achieve this while using a factory 1970 833 bellhousing. The dowels are cheap and worth the time to set it right.

I also used all ARP bolts for the swap. Chrysler small block bellhousing bolt kit , Chevrolet pressure plate bolt kit and 5.7/6.1 flywheel crank bolt kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Cuda Cody

@Blake@diyhemi.com  would you mind explaining how you did that in a little more detail?  Thanks! :twothumbsup:

"Remember to check your bellhousing runout. Tolerances should be no more than 0.006 total in any direction. I had to order offset dowels to achieve this while using a factory 1970 833 bellhousing. The dowels are cheap and worth the time to set it right."

Blake@diyhemi.com

@Cuda Cody

This website explains the theory for bellhousing run out. Pardon my brief response, but they do a good job covering the information.
https://shiftsst.com/articles/bellhousing-dial-in/

Here is a great video by American Powertrain. Remember, the Chrysler dowel pins need to have the adjustment side facing the engine instead of toward the transmission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9f4FhK13U
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

GoodysGotaCuda

1 vote for option #6, T56 Magnum! Warm up the sawzall though :D

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Blake@diyhemi.com

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

303 Mopar

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on February 07, 2017, 06:18:10 AM
Check this out, a T56 with offset shifter to fit in the E-body factory location!

Jamie said I'm "at least 12 months away", which is what he has said the last couple years. 

I'm getting a quote from SST for the TKO and T56 trans kit.  I hate cutting on my Cuda though and I suck at fabrication.   :wrenching:

ec_co

I recently read an article on the SST install (can't remember if online or one of the magazines ... maybe Mopar Action/Muscle) where the mod isn't too difficult and they even have a template already made to make it easier, just a few cuts and adding a little width. at work now and can't look at the last couple months of articles, but I'm positive it was a recent issue

the person to talk to at SST is Jeff - 865-609-8187 or mobile 865-801-4454.

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cuda Cody

Thank you @Blake@diyhemi.com  that helps a lot of people that have not done that before.   :clapping:

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on February 07, 2017, 05:25:43 AM
@Cuda Cody

This website explains the theory for bellhousing run out. Pardon my brief response, but they do a good job covering the information.
https://shiftsst.com/articles/bellhousing-dial-in/

Here is a great video by American Powertrain. Remember, the Chrysler dowel pins need to have the adjustment side facing the engine instead of toward the transmission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9f4FhK13U

GoodysGotaCuda

I wish the new SST shifter mount was available when I installed my Magnum. It should make things quite a bit easier.

I bought from Jeff and SST. No complaints and they have handled small issues and my questions very well.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs