Main Menu

Mini Starter Not Engaging Converter

Started by erik70rt, April 19, 2020, 12:47:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

When I put headers and a nee exhaust on my 'vert (318/904), I picked up a Powermaster 9300 mini starter for it.  Bolted in just right and I buttoned up everything today.  Got in the car and turned the key...

Started cranked but doesn't engage the ring.  The original starter engaged it just fine.  Is that model of mini starter not right for my application?  Any other thoughts? :verymad:
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

BIGSHCLUNK

Junk starter? Spins but doesn't engage?    :thinking:    I don't know anything about Powermaster but I have seen this happen with a reman or two over the years. I got a Denso form Dave @ Roseville years ago no issues

Brads70

Maybe pull it back out and bench test it to make sure it throws out the gear ok?

cuda hunter

Can't you just pull it off the trans, let it hang there and test it there.  Just have to have another person hit the ignition while your under the vehicle. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

Powermaster huh , almost always have problems with them  :Thud:

MoparLeo

A hanging, high torque starter will jump around and break something if left loose. Not a wise thing to do.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

BIGSHCLUNK

:iagree:    :stop:  hang onto it if you go that route

Topcat

Just buy a reman OEM at parts store.

Cheap and they work good.

cuda hunter

I'd have a hard time going back to OEM.  three times the weight and huge.   especially with headers.  You might not even be able to get an oem back in with headers. 
Now on a restoration, different story.   My opinion of course.  I love the mini's. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

erik70rt

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 19, 2020, 07:42:50 PM
Powermaster huh , almost always have problems with them  :Thud:

What do you recommend?

erik70rt

Fixed.  Started wasn't seated properly in the housing.  A quick adjustment and all is well.