Main Menu

Monday Night adventures

Started by tparker, September 27, 2021, 08:52:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Lots of stuff has prevented me from getting my motor in my car but I finally have some time. I am/was shooting for this weekend then I found out I lost one of my motor mount bracket. I was searching for some bolts last weekend and I think I left it at the store, or a dropped it somewhere. Argh.

Anyways, so I started to get the rest of the motor together just in case I could install it this weekend. I just wanted to get the oil pan on and that should be pretty easy, right. LOL. Well I put RTV on the block and then on the top of the gasket. First issue is the that little tab on the front and rear seal. I'm currious how people deal with where it overlaps with the oil pan gasket. Any ways, I just cut a little bit out of the gasket so it would interlock. Then I started to bolt things up. Apparently as I tightened from center out , the gasket at the ends slipped. Then it turns out I am missing 3 oil pan bolts. What the heck. Then I used a little cleaner and apparently the paint on the oil pan didn't like it and started to lift and curl.

Just venting a bit. Maybe someone can relate. Tuesday's agenda? Go find those 3 missing oil pan bolts and to remove, hopefully, dried rtv.

YellowThumper

Yep. They are "fun" at times with the smallest of issues creating the biggest headaches.
Just did a top end on another classic I have.
Decided to "do it right" and spent the extra dollars replacing the 55yo original rockers because better now than when one fails.
1500 miles later they are junk and haven't figured out why. Comp Cam pieces so the expectation was there for quality.

Find or purchase your bolts and move along as normal. We all have been there.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

jimynick

"We all have been there." Oh God, yeah, man!! Keep the faith and retain your stubbornness, it'll come in handy.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dakota

Been there, done that, have multiple copies of the t-shirt.   

Soooo much time spent running in circles.  Hang in there.... memories of those frustrating moments quickly fade once you're driving it.

I have some extra oil pan bolts from a 340.   PM me an address if you need some of them.

BIGSHCLUNK

Dakota's first line says it all! WE have all been there 

tparker

Thanks all. Yup, lots of frustrating moments. Luckily nothing that bad, just frustrating. So close to 'done'.

@Dakota Thanks I appreciate that. I ended buying some. I hate buying a bunch of bolts when you only need a couple. LOL. Luckily it was a reasonable price.

Claudia

:haha: Man, I can't even remember all of the times I started out to do something and had to stop to run to the auto parts store or the hardware store.  Little things really add up but as mentioned earlier . . . it all starts to fade away once you are cruising around!  :burnout: