Main Menu

Mopar Performance Valve Covers and PCV Adapter

Started by rebelyell, December 03, 2019, 06:57:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

I have oil leaking from the PCV area and I don't know what I need to fix it. There's some sort of adapter with mesh screen that the PCV fits in.

Can anyone recommend a fix or some grommets that will work?

303 Mopar

I pulled the mesh out of the breather because it was clogging up and not allowing the PCV to pull the residual through. 

rebelyell

Interesting. I'll pull it tonight and see what happens.

https://www.manciniracing.com/mochvacogrse.html  would this grommet kit work?

Topcat

OEM V/C's  had a baffle to block oil from splashing up at the PCV.

Perhaps fabricate one and use a metal to metal high temp Epoxy?
Sure somebody has probably done that before. 

Burdar

rebelyell

Pretty certain there's a baffle under it, but there's still an oil drip from under the breather cap. Should I find a new breather/pcv cap?

303 Mopar

Quote from: rebelyell on December 03, 2019, 09:10:19 AM
Pretty certain there's a baffle under it, but there's still an oil drip from under the breather cap. Should I find a new breather/pcv cap?

With the engine on, pull the PCV and see if there is suction. That will tell you if the PCV is good.  I had this same issue and pulled the mesh and it helped.

Burdar

What do you have on the other valve cover?  It won't work properly if you don't have a vent on the other side.  You need a breather on one side and the PCV on the other side.

rebelyell

Quote from: Burdar on December 03, 2019, 10:58:55 AM
What do you have on the other valve cover?  It won't work properly if you don't have a vent on the other side.  You need a breather on one side and the PCV on the other side.

....nothing but the oil filler cap.

I had assumed the thing that's leaking is a breather/pcv combo. but I didn't know I needed them on opposite sides.

Burdar

My guess is that your issue will resolve itself once you get a breather on the other side.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Burdar on December 03, 2019, 11:41:58 AM
My guess is that your issue will resolve itself once you get a breather on the other side.
Quote from: rebelyell on December 03, 2019, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: Burdar on December 03, 2019, 10:58:55 AM

....nothing but the oil filler cap.

I had assumed the thing that's leaking is a breather/pcv combo. but I didn't know I needed them on opposite sides.

:iagree: breather on other side will help with cross flow....

rebelyell

And you guys just hole saw out the other side?

I need to get new valve covers anyway. Are the 440Source Chrome ones worth getting?

Burdar

The MP covers have knockouts in them.  You should just be able to knock out the aluminum.   Once you have the cover off, you'll see that the aluminum is thinner in a circle where it's supposed to break.  I was always nervous doing it.  You can drill it out if you want and clean up the edges with a file or rasp.

You can also get a breather that replaces your oil fill cap so you don't have to knock out the hole.(similar to the one you already have but without the PCV hole)

rebelyell

I checked last night and it turns out that I do have one of the breather oil caps. So it looks like the pcv system isn't as screwed up as I thought.

I guess now I'll give the box store valve cover grommet kit a shot and see what happens.

Shane Kelley

Blow by can cause that issue. Do you have excessive crank case pressure? If you do nothing will prevent oil leaks. If it's a new motor sometimes it takes a little bit for the rings to seat depending on the type of rings.