Main Menu

Motor Mount Bracket CONFUSION

Started by anlauto, June 12, 2020, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay....today I'm having a huge brain fart and can not figure out what the problem is. I'm working on a 1971 340. I have the mounts shown in the picture below (borrowed from the internet)
My passenger side mount bracket is the same as the one pictured (OK) but when you hold it up to the engine only two of the three bolt holes line up  :looney: What am I missing, what's the deal ? All engines are casted the same with two holes at the front, one at the rear...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

This is what I have...Holding the mount in place on the passenger side, only two holes line up ???
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

I'll check when I get home and see if I have a set of 340 mounts that I can measure for you.

Cuda Cody

This thread on Moparts has some good photos...  even though it's "A" body related, it might show the hole locations.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1947246/re-1971-340-engine-mount.html

anlauto

That would be great Cody, thanks....I found a picture of the original mount from that last AAR I just did...it appears the same yet has four holes...

I can drill an extra hole in the one I have, but then would be worried whether or not the offset of the rubber isolator is correct etc... :thinking:

Mrbill426

I took these (only) pics of my 72 mounts before the block went to the machine shop FIVE weeks ago; hope it helps.

Mrbill426

If you need a measurement let me know; the mounts are still here.

Scooter

All the mounts I have seen, the passenger side has 4 holes. Even the aftermarket parts... that is odd.

Mrbill426

Yes mine does... unused too.

Quote from: Scooter on June 13, 2020, 09:32:08 AM
All the mounts I have seen, the passenger side has 4 holes. Even the aftermarket parts... that is odd.

71vert340

Here's a photo of the passenger side engine mount on my 71 340.
Terry

anlauto

Where I'm confused is with the fact I've found plenty of pictures on the internet showing the one with three holes that I have. Exactly the same as the one shown here marked (OK). I know the driver's side is unique like shown in the picture, so the one marked (OK) has to be the passenger side, but when you hold it in place, only two of the three holes line up :looney:  So what could it be for ? All the engine blocks I'm aware of, big and small, have the two holes casted at the front on both sides ???

anlauto

I'm pretty sure I can get away with just drilling an extra hole  :thinking:

Mrbill426

So the two holes that are on the same plane, across the mount from each other are fine but the stand alone hole is the one that is off?  Sorry, trying to wrap my head around the disparity.

Quote from: anlauto on June 13, 2020, 11:37:06 AM

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 13, 2020, 12:23:10 PM
So the two holes that are on the same plane, across the mount from each other are fine but the stand alone hole is the one that is off?  Sorry, trying to wrap my head around the disparity.

Yea, basically the "stand alone" hole, or lower hole should be on the other side of the mount...The two top holes line up with the engine casting.

Mrbill426

Got it Sir  :bigthumb:
I can measure mine if you like but probably more accurate for you to mark and drill.  Go to be a factory defect.

Quote from: anlauto on June 13, 2020, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 13, 2020, 12:23:10 PM

Yea, basically the "stand alone" hole, or lower hole should be on the other side of the mount...The two top holes line up with the engine casting.