Main Menu

Need help/guidance on fuel delivery

Started by Adams1stCuda, July 05, 2018, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

I am looking for some help in what parts I need and how best to set-up my fuel delivery for my cuda.  Car is a 73 340 with a Holley 600CFM (80457-2). 

The tank had a pinhole leak so I decided I am going to replace the tank (as it was also very dented and looked like it had been repaired in the past). 

Currently from carb to tank it is setup as follows: fuel line, gauge, fuel pump, fuel line, metal line to rear, fuel line, fuel filter, fuel line, sender.  There also had been a electric fuel pump in-line between the filter and the long metal line but I have removed it.  Also, the tank removed had all the vent/return lines capped off (see pic). 

Going to order everything I need for the fuel system at once, but not exactly sure what I need as my own research in the service and parts books were not clear.  The fuel tank assembly in the service manual looks different than the one I removed (mine had the four tubes at the front and the sender on the passenger side) and the parts illustration uses a valiant as the example.  Finally, I can see the carb is capped off and I live in a state that doesn't have the emissions requirements, but just in case I added the emission system diagram for conversation reference.

All help is very much appreciated.

70Barracuda

Tank, rubber to metal, metal or rubber to pump, rubber or metal to filter, rubber to carb.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Skid Row

Ensure line is 3/8"! My 73 Challenger was a 318 originally with 5/16"line, The 340 in it wouldn't run over 45 mph without the elect. pump.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Skid Row on July 05, 2018, 03:17:28 PM
Ensure line is 3/8"! My 73 Challenger was a 318 originally with 5/16"line, The 340 in it wouldn't run over 45 mph without the elect. pump.

Chrysler used 5/16 with 383's without issue... Prior to 70 they used 5/16 to feed 440's........ You had something else causing your problem...  On the other hand if your replacing the line anyway it doesn't cost much to upgrade....  Well, unless you count the extra for a 3/8 sending unit, a 3/8 fuel pump.... Etc...

BIGSHCLUNK

My HEMI ran fine on a 5/16 line. Finally upgraded when I got a new tank/sender

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I ran 5/16 line in this car for over 10 years with a 7000RPM Hemi. It never starved out for fuel.
Sheldon

gzig5

If you have any inkling of upgrading the carb to fuel injection (Sniper, FITech, etc) get one of the tanks available with the in tank pump.  I would upsize the new feed line to 3/8" just because.  I just replaced my tank, did neither of those and now regret it.  Make sure the sender is sized correctly to the line dia you select.  Replace the vent line at the same time, again if FI is in the picture as it can be used for the return.  Dave at Roseville set me up with "kit" for a standard tank  for my 73 that included proper tank with four vents, rubber mat, sending unit, sender lock and seal, sender ground strap, mounting straps and J-bolts.  I could have re-used my straps, but everything else was needed.

Adams1stCuda

I don't believe I will be going FI any time soon, if ever.  Just not exactly sure what stock is.  So what exactly is the stock setup?  From tank to carb, is it small rubber hose from tank to rear line (with the grounding strap from sender), rubber from rear line to the line that runs up the passenger side, rubber from line to pump, rubber from pump to filter, rubber from filter to carb?

What about the venting?  Can I just run it like the one pulled with all the vents capped off or do I need to figure out something different?

Brads70

If your not a stickler for originality I would highly suggest the Tanks Inc. set up. The new stock sending units are spotty quality wise and prone to leaking. Tanks Inc. does away with that by design. I have their set up and am very happy with it.  This is a job you only want to do once IMO.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=477/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd477.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=362/category_id=167/mode=prod/prd362.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/mode=prod/prd276.htm

RUNCHARGER

You have a gas tank with sending unit.
Short rubber hose to body fuel line, along with the ground jumper of course.
One piece body line that runs from your tank to the fuel pump, stock in your case is 5/16".
Short rubber hose body line to fuel pump.
Not sure on a small block but most likely a metal line that screws into the fuel pump and goes almost to the fuel filter.
Short piece of rubber hose between the fuel pump line and fuel filter.
Filter.
Short piece of rubber hose between fuel filter and metal line to carb.
Metal line to carb.
Sheldon

Adams1stCuda

Ok, think I have it down regarding what I need to buy between tank and carb.  Leaves me with any recommendations for venting.  It doesn't appear that I have anything from looking at the prev tank. So can I just cap the tank vents and use a vented gas cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

303 Mopar

Quote from: Adams1stCuda on July 15, 2018, 07:19:10 AM
Ok, think I have it down regarding what I need to buy between tank and carb.  Leaves me with any recommendations for venting.  It doesn't appear that I have anything from looking at the prev tank. So can I just cap the tank vents and use a vented gas cap?

In my experience, the tank needs to be vented in addition to a vented gas cap. Do you not have the vent lines on the rear passenger side to connect to?  If not, I would run at least one line up higher than the highest point of the tank.