Main Menu

Fuel delivery issue

Started by Tantster, March 30, 2019, 06:54:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tantster

Intermittent fuel delivery issue. Seems we got some bad fuel on way back from Run to the Sun, affected several cars but seems mine was the worse. Wound up replacing fuel pump and still can't get fuel past pump. Tried 3 separate pumps. At a loss, any ideas?

Brads70

Fuel pump pushrod worn out?

JonH

Assuming a stock fuel system...sock in tank plugged, or water in tank. Water will go to the bottom making it almost impossible to get fuel to the engine.

ToxicWolf

I had that problem in a car years ago and ended up pulling the tank to get it out.   :bricks:

Tantster

I'll get back at it tomorrow and pull the fuel line off the sending unit and make sure line isn't plugged.https://forum.e-bodies.org/Smileys/akyhne/thud4.gif

Chryco Psycho

I have seen a number of cars with this problem , the pushrod will wear down & not fully cycle the fuel pump , I would check the pushrod first as Brad suggested

Brads70

Quote from: Tantster on March 30, 2019, 08:02:08 PM
I'll get back at it tomorrow and pull the fuel line off the sending unit and make sure line isn't plugged.https://forum.e-bodies.org/Smileys/akyhne/thud4.gif

Take off the fuel line at the pump. Blow compressed air down the line and have someone listen at the filler neck ( with cap off)  How old is the sending unit?

Solarguy

Check the fuel line from front to back looking for pinhole in steel line or cracks in rubber lines sucking air. 

Tantster

Pulled pump again this morning to measure push rod and it measures 3". If I understand correctly it should be 3.22". No local stores have it so off to interweb. I have a 383 .30 with Eldebrock top end kit. I see Comp Cams and Howard Cams at Summit. Looking at the Comp Cams rod, is one better than the other?

Chryco Psycho

1/4" is a huge difference , I try to avoid Comp personally but your call

Rich G.

The 2 stepped sections should be the same size. This is a bad one. Notice one end is worn down about a 1/4 inch!

Floyd

Check with member "mccannix".  He had a stash of NOS fuel pump push rods.  There issues with some of the repros (quick wear).

Tantster

That's about what mine looks like. Now to get one ordered and get it back on the road.

Chryco Psycho

That  is the problem !!  :bigthumb:

Tantster

Couldn't believe the difference. New one is in and she's back on the ground. Thanks for the advice.