Main Menu

71 340 dipstick tube length

Started by culp71, January 28, 2019, 09:00:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

what is the original dipstick tube length on a 71 340?

71vert340

Here ya go. From my 71.
TW

culp71

appreciate the quick pic and response, but I was actually wanting the tube (in the block) length

71vert340

My bad. Looks like 6-5/8" sticking out of block. And it has a slight bend in it to clear the alternator.
TW

culp71

awesome, no problem, actually good to have both! thank you

71vert340

Here's a couple of photos of the tube. This engine has never been out of the car. I did have to change the fuel pump once and the tube may be bent to allow the fuel pump bolt to be removed also.
Terry

blown motor

Wouldn't all 340s be the same length regardless of the year?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

culp71

I don't know if certain years were different, all I know is I rebuilt a 71 340,
put in 5 quarts of oil, broke in cam/ ran it, let it sit, and when I checked the oil level, it was about 3 inches above the "full" mark on the dipstick.
figure one of the two have to be wrong.
thanks for the info.

thanks for all the info.

71vert340

Hmm. 5 quarts in my 340 puts it right at the full mark. Do you need a photo of the marks on the dipstick next to a tape measure? I would think the dipstick marks would all be the same. Another thought, do you have a stock oil pan on the 340?
Terry

Jay Bee

71vert340

If you subtract at least an inch from the tube posted in the ebay ad, it comes close to the 6-5/8" tube in my 340 block. My tube has a slight bend in it so it might be close to 6-3/4" length. The 3 inches though is puzzling. I took a photo of the dipstick marks for comparison. My car has been sitting for a few months without cranking. The level of the 5 quarts is at the tail of the arrow point at the FULL mark (which is about halfway between the full line and the 'F' in the FULL marking). I hope this gives you an idea anyway.
Terry