Main Menu

No reverse lights (4 spd)

Started by jt4406, December 20, 2021, 04:57:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jt4406

I cannot get the reverse lights to work correctly on my challenger.  The back up light in back and the indicator light on the dash will both work IF I hold the shifter hard forward after putting it reverse. Thinking the problem may be the linkage adjustment, I disconnected the reverse rod and manually put the transmission in reverse, turned on the key, and still no light (putting a wrench on the reverse lever retaining nut and pushing it toward the "reverse" direction, same action as pushing shifter hard toward dash, makes it work). It's as if the reverse switch doesn't go deep enough into the transmission for the internal reverse lever to hit it. I saw in one post a while back that someone had loosened the bolts holding the side cover on and pryed it up slightly and retightening the bolts. Would this work?  TIA, jt
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

Shane Kelley

It's the switch in your transmission.  Brewers has one that's machined down a little more than the regular replacement switches. I had the same problem and this resolved it.

hellipilot

not to hijack your post, but I dont have any wires going to my a-833 4spd back up sensor.  im guessing one wire goes to tbe backup lamps and the other wire goes where?? what color is the reverse wire supposed to be.  70 challenger rt 440

Rich G.

There is a separate little harness that goes to the switch.

anlauto

Quote from: hellipilot on December 28, 2021, 11:35:18 AM
not to hijack your post, but I dont have any wires going to my a-833 4spd back up sensor.  im guessing one wire goes to tbe backup lamps and the other wire goes where?? what color is the reverse wire supposed to be.  70 challenger rt 440

I believe it's a  circuit, two wires, one is black (power), the other is black w/tracer ...the power goes down to the switch, when in reverse the switch completes the circuit sending the power back up to the reverse lights, at the bulkhead there is another short wire (black w/tracer) that connects the the dash reverse light indicator wire which also lights up on the same circuit when the transmission is in reverse.... :brainiac: I think...LOL
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Transmission harness and dash light harness
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration