Main Menu

Oil filter adapter, 90 degree 74 Challenger 360LA

Started by Scooter, April 16, 2020, 11:28:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Looks like I might need a 90 degree filter adapter for my upcoming header swap. Current Hooker long tubes just too low on a lowered car. Going to grab and install one just to ensure I have no unexpected issues. 

Summit has been all out of the Mopar Performance 5249624 for some time. There are several listed on Ebay and want to ensure they will fit my application w/o issues before I jump.

Is this a good candidate?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-340-360-90-Degree-Oil-Filter-Adapter-Mount-Plymouth-Dodge-Dart-Cuda-/202958566654?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

-Scott

anlauto

Other then the price,  :bigmoney: that one would be just the ticket.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Burdar

I'm pretty sure you can run a short filter so you don't have to run an adapter.

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2020, 11:30:02 AM
Other then the price,  :bigmoney: that one would be just the ticket.

I hear ya on the price.. and it's one of the more "reasonably" priced adapters currently listed.

Quote from: Burdar on April 16, 2020, 12:02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you can run a short filter so you don't have to run an adapter.

Similar thought has been floated in a few conversations.

Thanks all.

anlauto

You can buy a new bolt/gasket kit for around $28 then maybe look for a used adaptor for around $50 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

I don't think i would go smaller on my oil filter if i didn't have to.  :alan2cents:

Scooter

Quote from: JS29 on April 16, 2020, 01:43:37 PM
I don't think i would go smaller on my oil filter if i didn't have to.  :alan2cents:

Same. I tried a smaller filter on my 390FE and was unhappy about the reduction in flow. Would rather spend a few bucks and have a full size filter. The fact this is a factory part for small blocks makes me feel pretty good about it... except the price of admission.

Scooter

So parts are accumulating for the new header installation. Opened the gasket kit that came with the oil filter adapter and am wondering what the cork seal in the photo below would be used for? I can only see a need for the two darker seals. One at the block and the other under the head of the bolt.

:clueless:

Chryco Psycho

you don't want the oil bypassing the filter inside the adapter , that is why there are 2 smaller gaskets

73_Cuda_4_Me

The cork gasket goes over the hollow bolt AFTER it's slid through the housing, and seals between the center of the housing and the block...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

JS29

Scooter

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on May 07, 2020, 04:23:06 AM
The cork gasket goes over the hollow bolt AFTER it's slid through the housing, and seals between the center of the housing and the block...

Most excellent, thanks for the information! 

Quick follow up, any need to use RTV on the block to adapter interface? Or just slap it on there and snug it down? 

73_Cuda_4_Me

I do not use any sealant on the adapter to block at all... Realize that once it's together, you aren't going to take it off for a long time... the center bolt gets torqued pretty good, so if both surfaces are clean, should not be a problem.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Scooter

Great, any advise on removing the threaded oil filter nipple out of the block?

What is the torque spec on the adapter bolt?