Main Menu

Optimal 360 stroker set up

Started by Marc70challenger, January 11, 2017, 02:13:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc70challenger

@Brads70 and @Chryco Psycho

For our 65 Barracuda strip/street we've debated s/c, turbo, NOS, etc for a start. Issue is the current 360 is built well ... but aged. Not even sure what she has left.  Refreshed 10 years ago +

So before we spend time and  :bigmoney: on add-on power - lets just start with solid NA re-build. And that may get us close to 10 sec. maybe just need 100 shot to make it.

Will do a stroke and bore with FT500 EFI system, 65 lb injectors, ls2/3 ignition coil system, Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake and forged rotating assembly.

Engine builder is hooking up with some of his Mopar racing buddies to spec out: Forged rotating, cam, and heads.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions for heads, cam or anything else?

It's has ~5k stall and 4.56 rear end. This may need to be played with as well.

Thanks for Help!

PS. He showed me some Mopar SB heads that Australian Pro Street use (they are restricted to SBs). 

http://www.visnerengine.com/billet-cylinder-heads/mopar/mopar-p5.html

The heads are SB heads but set up like hemi heads with spark plugs through top. Cool as hell. But $5k+ a pair.  :yes:  not sure that's in the budget. Unless lottery draw tonight workouts out lol

Chryco Psycho

Optimal Huh
well R3 block , W8 heads , n/a 700 HP
Ok so you want to retire at some point LOL
I would use later LA roller block 87-92 , 308 is the best production heads , Airwolf would be the next choice
the later blocks have provision for hyd roller cam but you could use a solid roller too . Cam choice would depend on a lot of factors & is the single most important part of the build .
the next step would be the latest W2 but the top end will be $3500 or more for all the parts but the power  :rubeyes: !!
The Visner heads look killer also

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 11, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
Optimal Huh
well R3 block , W8 heads , n/a 700 HP
Ok so you want to retire at some point LOL
I would use later LA roller block 87-92 , 308 is the best production heads , Airwolf would be the next choice
the later blocks have provision for hyd roller cam but you could use a solid roller too . Cam choice would depend on a lot of factors & is the single most important part of the build .
the next step would be the latest W2 but the top end will be $3500 or more for all the parts but the power  :rubeyes: !!
The Visner heads look killer also

Thanks @Chryco Psycho !

Sim pretty sure current block is from 73.  You can't use hyd roller cams?  Can you use hyd lifters right?   What are your thoughts on Indy 360-1 heads?   Thx!

Chryco Psycho

Sure hyd rollers work great but nowhere near optimal as the lifters will collapse under heavy spring load .
Indy can be tought o deal with but the 360 -1 I believe is the RHS head which is good but the Airwolf is better as are any W series heads

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 11, 2017, 06:06:51 PM
Sure hyd rollers work great but nowhere near optimal as the lifters will collapse under heavy spring load .
Indy can be tought o deal with but the 360 -1 I believe is the RHS head which is good but the Airwolf is better as are any W series heads

Ah cool. ya now I remember stories here with them. No thanks.

I'll check out airwolf.

Marc70challenger

Thanks @Brads70

I'm liking more those Airwolf.

Marc70challenger

Wierd. Did something happen with Dr J and Airwolf. I'm getting website kick backs. Server not found. www..j-performance.com.

Hmmmm.  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

Marc70challenger

All this may be irrelevant.    :dunno:

Long to short.  A 440 is in the mix.   :thinking:

:idea:  Can get solid block and steel crank great price ... then looking at heads, pistons, etc etc ... to get to goal can build stage 2ish 440 versus stage 4+ SB.  May wind up cheaper (by little bit) or not really much more.    :veryexcited:

Trans is now issue (why can't Mopars be like others and bolt up SB and BB for same trans ...  :). ) but ... be neat have BB in it.  Could only find one on internet .... certainly will e different. 

Chryco Psycho

there is a good reason why there are no 440 A bodies the 440 will not fit  :wrenching:

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 13, 2017, 04:05:29 AM
there is a good reason why there are no 440 A bodies the 440 will not fit  :wrenching:

We dragged motor out. Great condition. Its actually a 383.

Did find few with 383 in them.  :notsure:

Chryco Psycho

it is very difficult to get a 440 into a pre 67 A body but it can be done but so can a lot of things that may nt be so smart LOL

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 17, 2017, 07:53:24 PM
it is very difficult to get a 440 into a pre 67 A body but it can be done but so can a lot of things that may nt be so smart LOL

Ive rarely been known to learn the easy way.   :veryexcited:   :looney: