Main Menu

what are the right tools...

Started by ChallengerHK, January 15, 2017, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ChallengerHK

... to check cylinder bore and crank journal diameter?  Any good or bad brands and models?

Brads70

Do you mean like in micrometers? If so I have/prefer Starrett. A bore gauge is nice to have but very expensive unless your building engines for a living. Simple telescopic gauges and a mic will work.   

Cuda Cody

Micrometers work good on the Crank Journals.  For the Cylinder you're need a Cylinder Bore Gauge.  Make sure to check it at at least 3 levels (bottom, medium and high) up in the bore.  Also check a few different directions.  If you want to do it on the cheap, you can get a set of T-Bore gauges and use your Calipers to measure the T-Bore gauges.  Good Bore Gauges can get expensive fast.  I use Starrett and think they make good stuff. 

http://www.starrett.com/

You can find deals on ebay if you look.  You can find older Starrett sets pretty cheap.  And they are made to last.  The 915 set sometimes will slip through for a few hundred bucks or less. 

ChallengerHK

Good info thanks. I've got a block that I think I want to use. There's still significant cross-hatching in all the cylinders, a great sign, but I want to make sure that it hasn't been previously rebuilt and bored, say, just before the vehicle was wrecked.

You're right about the price of quality tools there. I'm going to check with machine shops and see what they'll charge me to check the cylinder bores and crank journals. It may well not be worth the cost to get the tools if I won't use them that often.