Main Menu

Performance out of a 318

Started by Fish Tale, July 08, 2021, 10:52:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fish Tale

My nephew just purchased a 71 Charger with the base 318 2bbl engine with automatic.  I know its not an e-body, but wanted to ask you guys here about adding a bit of performance to the 318.

He's on a budget so no engine rebuild at this time.  I'm thinking maybe a simple 4bbl/intake swap would help like something from Edelbrock?  Thoughts?

Thanks.

JunkYardFind

A 4 barrel with new intake and headers with straight pipes to Cherry Bombs! This is all I have done to my 318 and runs and sounds like a big block....well almost ;)

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

jbaha

with some money : intake, carb , headers, x pipes, going through super 10 flowmaster (and a manual gearbox haha)

and what costs nearly nothing (but some time) : redo the electricity, tune the distributor properly, port the head!
:burnout:

Skdmark

If doing an intake swap be aware that 318 heads have a smaller port size  than 340/360. A popular old school 4bbl intake for a 318 is an Edelbrock LD4B. You can find them used for $250.

Like others have said, get a good ignition system, 4bbl setup, free flowing dual exhaust etc.
Sound like a fun project for him.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

7212Mopar

I did headers, intake and four barrel carb to my 318 72 Challenger in 1980. It was not fast compare to other muscle cars around. Even a 318 Scamp outran me. It sounded good though and is cool for HS kids. No one knows what exactly you have until you run them. I think the 72 low compression engine and heads really limited the improvement. Not sure what 71 has but probably better.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

When I had a 318 I swiped out the heads for 360 heads, some aluminium intake that I forget the name of, a Holley 600 carb and a 340 cam. It was comparable to the 302 mustangs of the time.1983.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Fish Tale

Thanks guys, very helpful. 

@Skdmark - I'll keep an eye out for that Edelbrock LD4B.  Thanks.

ply64post

Joegrapes

All that stuff, carb, intake, headers, is all fine but it's not something that you will really feel in the seat of your pants. Sure those improvements will show with a little lower time at the strip but if you want to be able to immediately feel the improvement then rear gears is the only way to go.

PLY474

There are several threads in the For A Bodies Only Forum that discuss 318 performance.  https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forums/small-block-mopar-engine.52/

70 Top Banana

Oh no! I just got rid of a set of headers that fit a 318. They were an older pair of headers but would have worked fine.  I would have given them to you. I could not find anyone who wanted them and I needed to clean the place up or my wife was threatening to call up the tv show hoarders! :o

jyotkc

I did the MSD Atomic EFI on my 318 and man, what a difference.
Also long tube headers.
EFI was about $1200, not sure if it's in your budget right now but highly recommend it.

b5cuda

Old 273 high compression heads (mid to late '60's) or #302 casting heads (late 80's 318's) will make a big difference over stock 318 heads.

Chryco Psycho

The 318 & 340 are basically the same engine except they are not even close .
  I believe you can put the same stoker kit in either with the exception of the pistons & that is the problem .
The 340 had 10 :1 pistons & made quench , the 318 was abut 8:1 at best , using the "better" 340 heads didn't help as it drop compression even more , so every time I have swapped heads the power increase has been minimal at best , even just adding a 4 bbl & 340 intake often makes very little difference . Everything that is a bandaid approach makes little difference .
You really have to rethink the whole pkg , stroke the engine with good compression of at least 9.5:1 & use a head that will create proper quench & get a cam to match .
The 318 can make a lot of power done right but then for the same cost or even less you can build a 360 based 408ci !

BIGSHCLUNK

I basically agree w Neil, but on a tight budget.... that wont even happen. Headers and a 4bbl to get the flow going a little better be my first choice. Again BUDGET. Then if you have a rear end in the 2's.. move it to a 3.23 anything past that you wont have much upper end power. I can remember a ride I had w 4.10's... quick off the line, stomp it at 65 and it fell on its face.  :wrenching: